Well, I really try to buy Made in Canada, then Made in USA and then made in Germany .. in that order. I figure that I should try to support the industries that employ Canadians .. and industries that import Canadian stuff like much of the USA companies as well as supporting the NAFTA idea and of course family that lives south of the 49th, and supporting extended members of my family in Europe. We need to do that but not to the point of paying a 300% or 400% premium for that pleasure. The rest is kinda self explanatory.
When it comes to Made in Japan, Made in Taiwan etc., these are top notch products for the most part. They have been building for the North American market and the Euro market for what - 60 years now? They understand quality. China -- well not so much. They are where Japan and Taiwan was 50 years ago. But they are learning that quality sells junk don't -- well not so much. Also they build according to the purchasers specs -- and yeah, they really do. Do I buy those products? Yes I do - for the same reason a lot of others do. The budget. But here are a couple other thoughts -
- When you see something made in China or elsewhere - remember that we are part of a global economy and the world of trade keeps a lot of Canadians and Americans employed be they stevedores/longshoremen, truckers, warehouse employees etc.,
- When you buy something in a store made in China or elsewhere - remember your neighbour may have a job in that store and depends on some of the Chinese stuff that they flog. Try and buy a shirt made in North America? Almost impossible unless it is a high end shirt. Some of the best shirts on the market right now are made in believe it or not Bangladesh.
- When it comes to other forces that may be in play - such as politics/civil rights/economic situation etc., ... well that stuff is just background noise. Nothing any of us can do about it so it really shouldn't affect out decisions that much.
Bigschuss":2z4f5cjo said:
I do not look for USA made products "just to have the made in the USA label." I look for them because the product coming out of China is junk, and in the long run it is actually more cost effective to buy the more expensive product that will last longer.
Blair, I am old enough to remember that exact same comment but referring to products made in Taiwan, Japan and Europe right after WW2. It was incorrect then and is incorrect now. There are so many different levels of quality - as John said -
John *.?-!.* cub owner":2z4f5cjo said:
do not automatically assume made in China is junk. They make what ever the American companies ordering them want, whether it is top quality, or the cheapest thing they can make.
Not only that but there are Cdn and US companies that specialize in making junk - built in obsolescence, limited life-span etc., so just because it is made here doesn't make it better, it just makes it made here. :roll:
In regards to those products you are looking for. Well I buy a lot of stuff at Princess Auto. They have the kind of warranty that Sears
used to have but
no longer provide. If I break it, if it leaks, if it doesn't perform the way I want or I am displeased in any way,shape or form - they want me to bring it back. No question asked guarantee. Even in cases where it is plain that the customer bringing it back in has abused it -- they honour that warranty. It really is a good one.
2 Ton Bottle Jack
I actually have 2 or 3 of these .. the one I use for my pulley puller is a Harbor Freight version but is the very same jack. I have had many of them for over 10 years and use them on a semi regular basis. No leaks and work nicely. I pick up a lot of them when they are on sale - such as $9.99 :{_}: I also have the 6 ton, 8 ton and 10 ton versions. Very handy jacks.
Bigschuss":2z4f5cjo said:
Yet I know if I buy the $10 Chinese made version I will snap the bits in the 1st month of use.
8 pc 1/4 and 3/8 in. dr Torx Bit Socket Set
I have this one as well. Probably 6 years now. Gets a fair amount of use. The Hex set gets even more use.
So I guess the point of this is, do not be afraid of purchasing the stuff you can afford instead of doing without. The products may actually surprise you. I know it sure surprised me in the beginning.