Bumblebees

Hairy Moose Knuckles

Well-known member
Anyone know how to get rid of these? Grrrrr. Back in my younger days I used to like to beat a little metal. Every single time I fired up my forge, here they would come do fly bys over my head. Never had one pop me, but sure will make you hurt yourself.

My tractor is parked by my shed and I went out there today to tinker and sure enough here comes those pesky critters. My place always seems to have both native and bumblebees. I know they are good critters, but sure wish they'd go visit my neighbors
 
I've got quite a few at my place but I don't really pay much attention to them. They're not aggressive at all so I never worry about getting stung.
 
If you leave them alone, they will leave you alone. Are you sure they are not carpenter bees? They look very similar, but carpenter bees bore holes in exposed wood to lay their eggs.
 
Don McCombs":2d7q2dhc said:
If you leave them alone, they will leave you alone. Are you sure they are not carpenter bees? They look very similar, but carpenter bees bore holes in exposed wood to lay their eggs.


Could be. They do bore hole in any wood we have laying around. I remember they have a white dot on the forehead
 
I suspect you have carpenter bees. They will hover outside their bored hole, and aggressively buzz anything that comes close. Their are effective traps for them, and I don't think they have stingers. At least I've never been stung by a carpenter bee. Bumblebees more naturally hang outbound flowering bushes, plants. They will sting if provoked.

I will also mention that while I don't notice a white dot on my carpenter bees heads, that sounds more like some hornets, which have a really mean sting and are also aggressive if provoked.
 
Carpenter Bees with a white dot on their face can’t sting. I think they are the males. As a kid we would catch them with a bare hand and tie a piece of thread to them. They would fly around while you held onto the thread. If you caught one without the white face you immediately knew it and quickly let her go.
 
Thanks everyone. These haven't stung us, but they are attracted to me for some reason. More annoying than anything. I had to get several shots as a youngster due to stings. I would swell up like a toad frog.
 
Carpenter Bee (pretty much harmless)
220px-Carpenter_bee.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_carpenter_bee

Bald Faced Hornet (avoid at all cost)
220px-Baldie.jpg


Bumblebees are excellent pollinators. Especially, of tomatoes. Best to let them do their own thing.
 
I keep a couple cans ow wasp and hornet spray in the shop. Spray the nesting hornets to knock them down, then step on them.
 
Back
Top