Breaking up concrete steps

You'd be there for weeks trying to saw that with a avbrasive blade in a sawzall!

And chances are you'll need at least 1/2 dozen of those abrasive sawzall blades!
 
SamsFarm":37beqck6 said:
You'd be there for weeks trying to saw that with a avbrasive blade in a sawzall!

And chances are you'll need at least 1/2 dozen of those abrasive sawzall blades!

Thanks. I’ll scrap that idea. I do think the best way to get it into manageable pieces would be to cut through each side of the dog house at each corner. That would enable me to bust out a lot of material. The chainsaw type saw Don mentioned seems like the way to go. I’ll look into that.

Thanks
 
Fill the dog house with water and let the winter freeze take care of the hard part. If that don't work, start over in the spring with some of the ideas mentioned above.
 
Eugene":3dijfyoy said:
Do you own a decent quality hammer drill? Take another look at feathers and wedges.

That’s the problem. Feathers and wedges as you suggested will work, but I don’t own a hammer drill. Nor do I own a demolition hammer, etc. I’m gonna start with some inexpensive ideas like fire before I put any money into tools that I’ll probably never use again.

This is a rural area. If I can find a rental chainsaw style concrete saw I’ll try that.

Thanks
 
Thanks Don. I’ve rented several tools from Falls Tool Rental before. These steps are located in Wisconsin over 700 miles away, but I’m going to check into places in that area. Menards, which is located 25 miles away, rents demolition hammers but just looking at them I don’t think they would do a lot of damage in a short time period.
 
Eugene":17t2vkbe said:
Do you own a decent quality hammer drill? Take another look at feathers and wedges.

I took Eugene’s advise and bought 20 feathers and wedges and a cheap hammer drill. It is clear the steps were poured in 3 parts. A base, landing, and steps. Tons of hard rocks in it but I was able to drill along the lines where the parts mated together. The feathers and wedges cracked the concrete on a nice line and I had to use a couple of old chisels to open the crack enough to get a chain it where I could pull with my biggest tractor, an Allis Chalmers B.
I had it down to just the landing left after about 8-10 hours.

I did find rebar embedded. I tried to pull the landing over with the Allis but it isn’t powerful enough. I was hoping I could chain it at the top and chain it after each flip and tumble it along. So, I’m working on splitting it into 2 pieces that the Allis can drag. I have to drill and wedge and chip away until I can saw through the rebar.

Wish I had a bigger tractor but I’ll get it into 2 pieces in a few hours. Thanks for the suggestion Eugene. It was the only way I could do this by myself.

5067D348-4870-49CC-BDA4-019BB20C76DD.jpeg
D20FF0FB-2301-4BEC-9BEA-E14D4E6C2DAB.jpeg
 
We have a home owner sized hammer drill, to slow. Purchased a mid sized commercial quality hammer drill and quality 3/4" hammer drill bits.

Some native gravel rocks are very hard.

Also went from 1/2" feathers and wedges to 3/4".

Rebar. Opened up the gap with a demolition hammer then cut with a sawzall.
 
My latest concrete busting up activity. Just getting started.

Sidewalk to front of fixer upper house recently purchased has tipped down into the trench dug for the foundation. Soil has settled down into the trench. This leaves about a 10" tall step from the sidewalk into the front door.

Hammer drilled 1/2" holes for feathers and wedges. Sledge hammer on wedges didn't break the concrete. Then demoliton hammer/jack hammer, didn't break up the concrete.

Dug down along side the cement. It's 6 to 8 inches thick. Undermined one corner. Tomorrow, 3/4" hammer drill bit and large feathers and wedges. See if I can get the cement to start breaking.
 
Back
Top