Bottle jack oil

Thanks Grumpy. I did a search and saw anything from 10W to ATF fluid. You gave me the answer I was looking for, many years. Thanks.
 
I've always used automatic transmission fluid in all my bottle jacks for the following reason. If your adding oil, it went someplace. And that someplace may need to be cleaned up.

Whether on the shop floor or in a tool box on the truck, ATF is high detergent and nearly water soluble making for easy clean up after the jack tips on its side losing oil.
 
I had a log splitter the instructions called for 30 weight oil or hydraulic fluid but which ever one you used keep using the same one and do not change back and forth.
 
Yes, you can buy hydraulic jack oil, but I've always thought it was just hydraulic oil in a small bottle. I just use hydraulic oil, since I generally have a gallon or two on the shelf. I've used ATF in the past and it worked fine as well.
 
I think you can use many different things, I have even used 30wt non detergent in a pinch. Does make it retract slow in cold weather. LOL I do normally keep a bottle of the jack oil on hand. You can get it most anyplace that sells automotive supplies, even WalMart. With that being said, I believe that for all around best performance and longevity the regular jack oil is probably best, though I do believe the differences are small.
 
I use automatic tranny oil, its cheap plus some of these imported jacks leak. Always use a jack stand when using any jack. "DO NOT TRUST ANY JACK BY ITSELF"
 
Back
Top