I now work for a technology company with an office in a building 200 yards and 21 stories up from the blast. Throughout the day today I watched runners cross the finish line.
For those not familiar with Boston, Patriot's Day is the quintessential New England holiday whose events include the marathon, an early Red Sox game, and an overwhelming sense of joy as we welcome spring. Early this morning a radio talk personality told listeners that the best time to watch the marathon's finish line was in the mid afternoon after professional athletes have been crowned and interviewed. Mid afternoon finishers include student athletes, Moms and Dads, and people that raised money in support of nonprofit organizations. You can imagine the emotion as amateur athletes cross the finish line after months of wintertime preparation. Mid afternoon is when the bombs went off.
From 200 yards and 21 stories up I felt both blasts in my chest. They were certainly powerful. When we heard the blasts, my coworkers and I jumped up and saw the chaotic scene that is being replayed on TV right now. I left the building almost immediately.
Within 10-20 minutes cell phone towers were shut off to prevent the detonation of bombs activated by cell signal, T (subway) transit was halted abruptly, and the bus company I use cancelled all commuter service in and out of the city.
Needless to say my wife and son got big hugs when I got home.
My thoughts and prayers go out to those the victims and their families.