Auction Hunter - The Results are in.....

ricky racer

501 Club
My plans are to attend an auction this Saturday, good Lord willing and the creek don't rise. They have listed a Cub w/ cultivators that has not run in a few years. Also listed is a plow for it. Not running sounds a little closer to my price range. :roll: No picture available.

Also listed, well out of my price range, is a 1924 Ford Model T Run-About that has been parked in a shed for 20 years. Bill says the interior is immaculate and the actual car is very clean.

fi1.cgi


If anyone wants to send me a blank check to help me out, I'd like to bid on that "T". :big smile:
 
I think I would go after the Model T, not too many that look that nice and are in that shape anymore.....Cubs are easily found 8)
 
cubguy47":2vmpnvmk said:
I think I would go after the Model T, not too many that look that nice and are in that shape anymore.....Cubs are easily found 8)

Model T's are found much easier than one would think, and cost a lot less than most would think as well. Take it from a guy that has been driving this one for pretty close to 50 years.

IMG_0798.jpg
 
Both are very nice cars... :{_}:
I've worked on cars for so long they all look alike to me. When asked about something I worked on yesterday I just shake my head and ask if it was a model A or T, anything else is all the same. :lol:

Those T's really stand out to me, would love to own one someday. :D
I'd bet at a auction it'll be as usual, right through the roof.... :roll:

Good luck on the cub tractor Rick, maybe you can slip it out while everyone's looking at that T. :lol:
 
Rick,
Take your camera along and snap some shots of the auction activities. Then post some here.

Hope the Cub and assorted implements are well within your price range!!
 
I hope for cold weather and rain for auction day :mrgreen: It keeps all the bidders home. I don't know how familiar you are with auctions, but I can give you some tips.

#1. stand at the back of the crowd so you can see who is bidding and don't bid against your self. Some auctioneers will take double bids and sometimes in the excitement of it all people will bid against themselves because they loose track of who is high bidder.
#2. The bidding will start high and drop down before the first bid is placed... People like to hold off and let it go as low as possible before they put in that first bid. Don't be afraid to put that first bid in at a higher number. As an example: They will probably start it at 1200 and drop back to 1000.00 then 900.00 etc. Somebody might put the first bid in at 500.00. That person may have a budget of 800.00 on the tractor. So if you start it at 800.00 they are less likely to bid. However if you let them put the first bid in at 500.00 and they reach 800.00, they are more likely to think "What is another 25.00" and bid to 825.00, then to 875.00 etc. You can eliminate some of your competition by starting the bid higher.
#3. Don't be afraid to jump the bid upwards... I have bought a lot of stuff buy jumping the bod up 2-300.00. It throws other bidders off and the auctioneer will often close the bidding before they have time to think over what just happened.

Good luck. and don't go crazy. Get there early and look the tractor over well. If parts are missing, wiring is frayed, tires rotted, don't pay 1500.00 for it. If it does infact have a complete set of cultivators with no welds or cracks you have about 600.00 in value right there.

And don't forget the pictures... Even if you don't win... we want to see it.
 
sugarbush":16kxgoey said:
I hope for cold weather and rain for auction day :mrgreen: It keeps all the bidders home.

Things must be opposite around my neck of the woods. When the weather is crummy, people can't work outside, so they go to an auction! :D
 
Stanton":2cbnzcfr said:
sugarbush":2cbnzcfr said:
I hope for cold weather and rain for auction day :mrgreen: It keeps all the bidders home.

Things must be opposite around my neck of the woods. When the weather is crummy, people can't work outside, so they go to an auction! :D

You betcha!!!!
 
An old motorcycle jockey like yourself should place well....Good luck...Dave...( Harley's since 1970 something )....And a BSA and Triumph along the way... :big devil:
 
Stanton":1kbny9w8 said:
sugarbush":1kbny9w8 said:
I hope for cold weather and rain for auction day :mrgreen: It keeps all the bidders home.

Things must be opposite around my neck of the woods. When the weather is crummy, people can't work outside, so they go to an auction! :D
Same here, most people get the same idea that there would be fewer people so they decide to go. The result is all those people show up and there is a crowd. I have been to many crowded rainy day auctions.
 
Barnyard":1z8k6lsk said:
Stanton":1z8k6lsk said:
sugarbush":1z8k6lsk said:
I hope for cold weather and rain for auction day :mrgreen: It keeps all the bidders home.

Things must be opposite around my neck of the woods. When the weather is crummy, people can't work outside, so they go to an auction! :D
Same here, most people get the same idea that there would be fewer people so they decide to go. The result is all those people show up and there is a crowd. I have been to many crowded rainy day auctions.
In my experience, cold and rain only keep the tire kickers home. Those with money in their pockets don't seem to mind the weather.

So what do you think a "T" like that is worth????
 
Early ones can be worth up to $75,000 (1909ish). When it comes to the later ones, it takes an exceptional car to bring $10,000. This according to our resident brass car expert at work.
 
ricky racer":376y41de said:
In my experience, cold and rain only keep the tire kickers home. Those with money in their pockets don't seem to mind the weather.

So what do you think a "T" like that is worth????

As with everything, especially a used car, there are a lot of things that will figure into the price. For an enclosed model T like the Coupe shown, the interior is your biggest "wildcard" as to the price. If it is there, complete and in good condition, that only ups the price. Incomplete or shabby brings it down, fast. Does the magneto work, how are the bands in the transmission, has the rear axle been rebuilt and the babbitt thrust washers replaced, does it need new/rebuilt ignition coils, how are the starter/generator/carburetor/gas tank, what kind of add-ons does it have (rocky mountain brakes, Warford, Ruckstell), how is the radiator ($1,000 brand new)?

Not knowing when it ran last, the condition of the motor/transmission (recent or older rebuild, who did the work?), etc. I would say you would be some where between 6-7 thousand (if you have two guys there that really want it and know something about that particular car), but it will probably be lower, $5,500 (without doing a hands-on inspection).

You will never get back the money that you put into a model T when you are rebuilding it. They are saying it is a 1924 and it may be (I think it may be a 1925), it has later wheels and tires on it, 21" versus the earlier 30" x 3 1/2" wheels and tires. You can't go by the serial number of the engine as most model T engines have been changed or swapped out at one point or another. The front bumper that it is on it is aftermarket. The last four or five 09-10 model T's that I had seen sell (complete restored cars) were struggling to get to $50k, and they had all of the correct bits and pieces on them. When it comes to the earlier 09-10 model T's, the parts are worth well more than what the car would be worth as a whole. The Coupe that is shown is right at the end of the "black-era" model T's 1916-1925 (colors came back in 1926), this is the most abundant/affordable of the model T's, the earlier they get the price goes up. Model T's are great fun to drive and are easy and fun to work on, and parts are readily available.
 
Criswell has hit the nail on the head with this. Criswell you and I should chat, besides cubs, Model T's are my other affliction, we currently own 7 and have owned up to 2 dozen in the last 9 years. Model T's are great fun and the next best thing to cultivating, plowing, disking, planting; well you get the point. I have a small restoration sideline business dealing strictly with T's and it keeps me busy and out of the bars. I also sell reproduction parts for Model T's.

I would think that 6,000 to 8,000 is were I would be, but it wouldn't surprise me if it goes up to or over 10,000; especially if they clean the dust off and have it running the day of the sale.

If anyone is ever in the neighborhood, give me a shout and we can go for a Model T ride, but if it is in the winter dress warm.
 
Well, it was a swing and a miss today. The Cub was a nice honest original that had not been run in 15 - 20 years. It had new, 20 year old, rear tires with the tits still on them. It had a belt pulley and swinging draw bar but other than that it wasn't special. The cultivators weren't complete and the hood had been cut but nothing that I couldn't repair. It sold for $1600. :shock:

Camera photos, sorry about the quality.

Auction_Cub_4-6-13_%28Small%29.jpg


0-4_%28Small%29.jpg


0-3_%28Small%29.jpg


There was a really nice Cub Cadet 169 that with goodies that sold for $900.

0-5_%28Small%29.jpg


Oh yeah, the Model T sold for $ 7250.

0_-1_%28Small%29.jpg
 
Back
Top