A B-29 Crash Site and My Grandmother's Journey to Find It

Thanks for the warm comments gents. Glad you enjoyed the story.

And yes Joe.....The Haigas Hoopla? Is that some kind of a basketball tournament down your way?

Blair
 
All I can say is "WOW" , and "Thank you" for sharing! (interested in all things pertaining to military aircraft)
Merry Christmas all!
 
Thanks for sharing that great story. I am sorry for this tragic loss. I have always had a fascination for the B-29.

Al
 
Thank you so much for posting this information. My Uncle, 1st Lt. Jack Edwin McDannell was on that plane also. He was a bombardier, not quite 30 years old and newly married. He was my father's youngest sibling and while I never knew him, our entire family felt his loss. I know losing him tore at both my Grandparents hearts for the rest of their lives. Uncle Jack died just 3 days before my sister was born on Sept. 29. Until reading your account here, I never knew the full story and probable cause of this horrific accident that killed 13 fine young military men. Thank you again.
 
Blair:

I thought I had posted to this back when, but I guess I didn't. I do remember reading it a couple times though. A very poignant story, one of family pride and sorrow as well as finally being able to provide closure for your Grams. Glad your brother was able to bring this about.

It is nice too that you posting this has led to ladytess_98's closure as well.

Glad you posted this and glad that it was brought back up again.
 
ladytess_98":3qms7t51 said:
Thank you so much for posting this information. My Uncle, 1st Lt. Jack Edwin McDannell was on that plane also. He was a bombardier, not quite 30 years old and newly married. He was my father's youngest sibling and while I never knew him, our entire family felt his loss. I know losing him tore at both my Grandparents hearts for the rest of their lives. Uncle Jack died just 3 days before my sister was born on Sept. 29. Until reading your account here, I never knew the full story and probable cause of this horrific accident that killed 13 fine young military men. Thank you again.

Thanks guys. Glad you enjoyed the story. God to see it brought back up.

ladytess...that's incredible that you uncle was also on this plane. I just pulled out the accident crash report and indeed there he is, Lt. Jack McDannell. Do you have a copy of this file? I'd be happy to send you one if you'd like. Send me a PM.

Blair
 
Somewhat ironic that this thread is a year and a half old and just recently brought back up. Fifi, the last flying B-29 Superfortress, landed yesterday at Lunken Airfield in Cincinnati for a five day exibit with several other vintage war planes. They are offering tours of the inside of the plane and for a mere $595.00 you can also get a ride in it. Wish I could make time to head over that way to take a look.

Blair, thanks for the original post and Lady Tess, thanks for bringing it back up.

B29_Fifi.jpg

Photo from Texas A&M University web site. "Gig 'em, Aggies!" as our resident Aggie grad, Bill Hudson, would say.
 
Hello Blair, Are you still out there?
My wife found this old forum discussion during an ancestry online search. My uncle, Robert O. Troyer was a 23 Y/O gunner on this bomber and died with the other crewmembers.
Is there anyway I can get a copy of your brother's article and any information about the crash location? I too got the military records and planned to someday travel to Oklahoma to see the site.

Regards
Bob Troyer
 
Back
Top