This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

low oil pressure

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Joey
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 70403

low oil pressure

Postby Joey » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:37 pm

Was cutting grass today and, towards the end, noticed that the oil pressure was down to about 10. Shouldn't it be around 35? What are some of the possibilities I need to look at? I do have a leak around the rear main seal but I keep the oil level filled and it doesn't seem to be a big leak.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:42 pm

Joey:

Check out Page Rob's It Lives ! thread.

Rudi wrote:Rob:

Image to what Ron says :!:
evielboweviel wrote:pour seafoam in the gas tank and the oil, then run it and drive it around
ron
Run it around a bit with Seafoam in the tank and it should loosen up the valves.. cause it sounds like you have one or two sticking.. Granny started up with some misses.. and a lot of black smoke.. with some crap coming out of the stack. Ran her for a while with Seafoam in the tank and poof.. started smoothening out and the smoke went away. Compression built up good too :!:

SeaFoam and SeaFoam Deep Creep.. are two good items to have on the shelf.
Image Image
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:05 pm

10 PSI with a hot engine at full throttle - if accurate - would be a bit low. There are a lot of worn engines that function for years at 10 or 15 PSI. Normally oil pressure does drop as the engine warms.

Couple of things. Check the oil pressure with an accurate guage on a cold engine at full throttle then again with a fully warmed up engine.

Then check the oil pressure with a fully warmed up engine at idle, no load engine speed. Time to get worried is when you have no or very little oil pressure with a warm/hot engine at idle.

Possibilities. The major area for loss of oil pressure is worn rod and main bearings. Couple of other possibilities are engine oil being thinned with hydraulic fluid and using a light oil weight.

Eugene
I have an excuse. CRS.

Joey
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Joey » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:17 pm

Eugene,

When I cranked the engine at the beginning, the pressure was between 25-30. Cut 2 acres of grasses before I noticed the pressure again - so engine was fully warmed up. I'll try to check it again tomorrow. How long should I let it run before it's considered fully warmed? What do you call an accurate gauge? Any certain kind you recommend buying? BTW, engine oil used is 10W-30.

Rudi,

I think I'm going to get some Seafoam tomorrow and try that. Won't hurt to try.

RD
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RD » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:53 pm

all i did was change my oil fiilter and oil and it started holding oil pressure much better
-Robert

one 49' Farmall Cub

Joey
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Joey » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:58 pm

I've heard of putting Seafoam in the oil to clean up the engine. Should I put in Seafoam in the oil now and let it get dirty before changing, or should I change the oil, put in Seafoam and then change the oil again? Not a bad idea, RD, thanks for the tip. Might as well go the whole ten yards.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:03 pm

put the Sea foam in and work it for 2 or 3 hours, then change the oil ot get the loose crud out.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Joey
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Joey » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:16 pm

2-3 hours. Guess the grass is getting cut again.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:17 pm

Joey wrote:Eugene. How long should I let it run before it's considered fully warmed? What do you call an accurate gauge? Any certain kind you recommend buying? BTW, engine oil used is 10W-30.
Probably 10 to 15 minutes working, will fully warm up the engine.

Check the oil pressure on your gauge at idle with a hot engine. If you have oil pressure - probably good to go. Then rev up the engine and look for the oil pressure to climb.

I'm thinking your oil pressure is ok. On my Cub with a new engine (not rebuilt - new last year) the oil pressure guage only comes up to 3/4 of the scale, then drops down to the lower end of the scale with a really hot engine. The problem here is the pressure gauge not the oil pressure.

I'm using 20W50 engine oil. A heavier weight oil will bring up the oil pressure. The operators manual recommends 30W or 20W40 for temps from 32 to +90 degrees F.

Use what ever engine oil you are comfortable with.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:17 pm

Awww... Seat time :!: :big smile:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:20 pm

Joey wrote:2-3 hours. Guess the grass is getting cut again.
Neighbor is putting his cattle on the acreage in November, after deer season. I'm letting the grass grow for the cattle to eat. Saves me the cost of cutting grass once more.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Joey
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Joey » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:28 pm

Thanks, guys. I'm off to Advance Auto tomorrow!

Yep, Rudi, more seat time. I'm currently trying to work on #2 that I acquired last year, but can't seem to find the time I need to go over the tractor. Between helping a friend and a brother in law build houses, cutting grass and school and sports activities with the kids, time is at a premium. Plus, I'm waiting to pick up a Super A I made a deal on. Things will slow down in the winter, I hope.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:36 pm

Joey:

Can I relate to that... I am up to my ears in stuff to do.... only time I get to sit is at night usually. Too busy most days runnin.. I look forward to winter.. get to stay nice and warm as a bug in a rug and make fire all day :big smile: :bellylaugh: