This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

It lives!!!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
PageRob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 86040
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub "Black Cat"
Mamod TE1A "Kayenta"

It lives!!!

Postby PageRob » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:19 pm

Strange but true, while I was gone over the week to Utah for work, Jim et al. got Black Cat put together and fired! I've seen it myself, so I know they're not just telling tales...

But, compression is really low, and it smokes out the stack and the oil pipe! But, it should be able to move a little under its own power (at least on to my trailer and back off), so I'm pretty happy. Looks like a full-scale tear-down is in the works for this winter though. Pics to follow!
"The only thing we did was wrong was stay in the wilderness too long/the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight."
-Old Spiritual

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Trent M » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:22 pm

Good to hear that!! :D Have fun with it this winter. Looking forward to the pics.
Trent McPeak

deputy jailer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby deputy jailer » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:25 pm

:big afro:

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:16 pm

Sounds as if NicoDerm patches might not help with the smoking.
Luck favors those who are prepared

evielboweviel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43130
eBay ID: evilboweviel

Postby evielboweviel » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:27 pm

pour seafoam in the gas tank and the oil, then run it and drive it around
ron

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:37 pm

Rob:

Image to what Ron says :!:
evielboweviel wrote:pour seafoam in the gas tank and the oil, then run it and drive it around
ron
Run it around a bit with Seafoam in the tank and it should loosen up the valves.. cause it sounds like you have one or two sticking.. Granny started up with some misses.. and a lot of black smoke.. with some crap coming out of the stack. Ran her for a while with Seafoam in the tank and poof.. started smoothening out and the smoke went away. Compression built up good too :!:

SeaFoam and SeaFoam Deep Creep.. are two good items to have on the shelf.
Image Image
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:46 pm

Put some down the plug holes and let it sit for a couple of days as well as what the other guys said. Then work it hard. Stuck rings may run better too.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

PageRob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Mamod TE1A "Kayenta"

Postby PageRob » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:03 am

Cool, thanks for the tips, guys! Jim had some sitting around, so we put it in the gas and oil, ran it wide open for several minutes, and the smoking really improved. Drove it around a bit, smoking cleared up quite a bit. Took it down over to the trading post, where the show is going to be this weekend, fired it up, drove around nice through all the gears. Parked, let it sit for a while, fired it back up, and was smoking a little again. Seemed to loose and gain power suddenly, so I think that the rings are better now, but still not perfect. Added more gas, so now I'll toss some more seafoam in there. I'm going to be gone again this week for some time, so I'll toss the SF in the plug holes and let 'em sit this week. Pics are still coming up, I promise!
"The only thing we did was wrong was stay in the wilderness too long/the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight."
-Old Spiritual

PageRob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Mamod TE1A "Kayenta"

Postby PageRob » Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:57 pm

Hooray! That SeaFoam, I tell ya, I'm amazed at what it seems to have done. Hardly any smoke, unless its under load now. Anyway, here's some of those promised pics:
It's got oil pressure!

1st time its moved under its own power for ~20 years. Puttered out from Jim's garage to this spot, where we let it run to work in that SeaFoam and blow out some of that carbon.

Yesterday, setting up for the show here. Note my "work shirt." Don't mind if that shirt gets all ragged and oily! Thanks to my dad for these last three photos.

Took a little trip through the desert with all the other tractor participants this morning - here I am, chugging along. Didn't get stuck once in that dry, deep sand!

For giggles, I figured, since some folks said to run it under load, I'd hook it up. I was the only tractor in the under 2k lbs class, so my 4'8" pull took top prize! :lol: I figure for a 20,000 pound sled and a tractor that just started working, that ain't too bad!

Still got work ahead of us - need to mess around with the throttle linkage, its not giving me full power all the time unless I keep full pressure on it. Whines in the tranny in any gear. Bearing? Need to look into that. Plus I'd like to get it painted up real pretty, but I'll take it functioning and not painted up over dead and pretty...at least for now :twisted: :twisted: !
-Old Spiritual

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:27 pm

Looking good. No sweat blowing smoke pullin the sled.
There is a pin on the cover of the Gov that an l shapped cast piece pivots the throttle rod fastens too. Many times that will rust up. The seafoam, Kroil or what ever trick helps there too.
Of course it could be something else and a big deal, I belong to the KISS club. (Keep it simple Stupid)
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

PageRob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Mamod TE1A "Kayenta"

Postby PageRob » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:32 pm

beaconlight wrote:Looking good. No sweat blowing smoke pullin the sled.
There is a pin on the cover of the Gov that an l shapped cast piece pivots the throttle rod fastens too. Many times that will rust up. The seafoam, Kroil or what ever trick helps there too.

Thanks! I haven't cleaned up the governor too much, so I'll take a peep at that, see if that's my solution.
-Old Spiritual

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:39 pm

Rob:

Well done. Black Cat sure has some oil pressure now. Nice looking Cub. Not much smoke considering what you were trying to pull..... that would scare me... :big crazy: be afraid to break something... :help:

Glad it is running better now. :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship