This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

lifting disc harrow

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
capecodcub
10+ Years
10+ Years

lifting disc harrow

Postby capecodcub » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:36 pm

OK, here comes the "stupid" question of the night. You all will be able to tell I am no farmer by this one, but here goes anyway.
I just picked up a 23A disc harrow from Junkman, and it is all there which is great. My question is, can this be lifted to travel over ground you don't want to chew up or do you do something else with it during relocation on your property? Just doesn't make sense to have to keep it down on the ground all the time. Thanks one and all. More "newbie" questions to come.
David
David Svarczkopf

jim turner
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64784
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby jim turner » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:43 pm

Yes you can lift it when you don't want it to be down
Jim Turner

jostev
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03574
eBay ID: farmallkid48
Skype Name: farmall_kid
Tractors Owned: 41 B
48 H
49 C
50 red demo Cub
51 C
52 Cub
54 Super C
61 and 63 Cub Cadet Originals
78 Cub Cadet 1450
73 154 lo-boy

Postby jostev » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:45 pm

the 23A disc's go straight for travel, i think that it would be too heavy to lift, when i drag mine around, with the disc's straight, it doesn't tear anything up, except when i turn a really sharp corner... when you go into your garden or whatnot, you would angle it to tear up the ground...

just my .2 cents

Johnny

capecodcub
10+ Years
10+ Years

lifting disc harrow

Postby capecodcub » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:46 pm

jim turner wrote:Yes you can lift it when you don't want it to be down

OK Jim, I believe you. But I was reading the owners manual and it didn't say anything about doing that or how to. Obviously I can put a chain around the rockshaft and lift it, I am just wondering what the correct procedure is.
David Svarczkopf

jostev
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03574
eBay ID: farmallkid48
Skype Name: farmall_kid
Tractors Owned: 41 B
48 H
49 C
50 red demo Cub
51 C
52 Cub
54 Super C
61 and 63 Cub Cadet Originals
78 Cub Cadet 1450
73 154 lo-boy

Postby jostev » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:53 pm

Jim, you are thinking of the 28A the 23A's are drag behind.... here is the manual on Rudi's server

you could take it apart, and lift the front half i'd say...

Johnny

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:08 pm

With the 23A. Go to Johnneys post below. On the left end of the photo there is an arm sticking up above the tongue. Attach a rope to this arm/lever then to the seat of the tractor. To adjust the disc angle. Pull the lever forward then back up the tractor to increase the angle. To decrease the angle or straighten, back up just enough to take pressure off the tongue, pull the lever then drive forward.

Hope that answers your question. If not post back.

Eugene
I have an excuse. CRS.

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:38 pm

With the 23A you pull the lever and drive forward, this increases the angle for disking. For transit, just back up (click, click, click, click :lol: ) to decrease the angle. The disks will be close to straight for transit and will do little damage to lawns, ect.
8)

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:38 pm

David:

Couple things to keep in mind. And I ain't no professional farmer either.. but I am learning a lot. The guys here are pretty sharp and can teach you a lot. My father-in-law has been teaching me a lot over the last 20 years too.
    1. Double Gang Harrows like the Cub-23A Disc Harrow are not liftable.. at least not by a Cub. If you were able to lift it, I am thinking that the first reaction of the Cub, would be to buck up and maybe do a back flip.. not good at all :idea: :!: This frightens me, as I know how much my 6 foot Out-Throw Harrow weighed and how light it made Ellie's front end the first time I tried to lift it before the modifications.
    2. Single Gang harrows are liftable. The 28A and the L-38 Disc Harrows are the lift type. These are for either the Regular Cub or the IH Cub Lo-boy.
    3. Single Gang Horse-drawn Out-Throw type Disc Harrows can also be lifted by a Cub, but. it needs extensive modification. See the Cubs and Disc Harrows thread for more information on this. There are others as well. Just search for Disc Harrows.
From what I have been told and actually from what I have seen with my Out-Throw before modification, was that if the discs are in a straight line and you do not try to make a sharp turn, the discs will do none or very little damage to the lawn. If you are short on space.. then the 23A is not what you are looking for, the 28A is. If you have lots of room then the 23A would be a fine unit to have.

Oh.. the Disc Harrow has been used for generations of farmers to:
    1. Cut the sod and get ready for plowing
    2. Cut the turned over soil after it has dried a bit.
    3. Till the soil so that the clods and all are chopped up to very fine consistency and aid in preparing for planting.
    4. Harrows are also used to level a field after harvesting. They cut down the hills and if you harrow down the field then harrow across the field it will level it nicely.
    5. A Disc Harrow in the hands of a pro, can do as nice or even nicer than a tiller ever could.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:40 pm

Yup. Donny has the tractor direction correct for changing the angle of discs. In any event you will figure it out.

Sometimes the slides get rusted up. You may have to oil the slides and jerk the disc back and forth to get the angle to move.

Eugene
I have an excuse. CRS.

TJ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 72455

Postby TJ » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:18 am

If its hard to put in gear(angle the blades to cut ) just back up a little bit.It relieves the tension on the tounge which relieves it on the engagement lever. My dad has had one for 8-10 years we used it to break the garden. Now that I have a cub it might wander off to my house. :wink:

After you run through your yard, wifesflowerbed or driveway a couple of times you will remember to take it out of gear. :lol: :lol:
1972int.cub , c-3 int mower , 54a blade
1950 M farmall "under construction"

If a word is misspelled in the dictionary who would know? from uncle johns bathroom reader

jim turner
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64784

Postby jim turner » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:49 am

Jim, you are thinking of the 28A the 23A's are drag behind.... here is the manual on Rudi's server

Yep you are right , sorry my mistake
Jim Turner