Blue Smoke

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Plywud
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:45 pm
Zip Code: 98042

Blue Smoke

Postby Plywud » Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:09 pm

I'm starting to get some blue smoke, oil pressure is in the 25 lbs range, compression is 95 or slightly better across the board. Was watching some U Tube video's on Cub's and one mentioned he had added a little Marvals Mystery Oil and something called Sea Foam. Would either or both give me a little more compression and cut down on the oil use age? Tractor is not worked hard, mostly pulling a garden trailer or using the center blade for light grading. Understand it won't replace a rebuild, but would like to hold off on it if I can, until next fall, more like a winter project.

Rick Johnson

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Posts: 4692
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:08 pm
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Blue Smoke

Postby tst » Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:29 pm

its a cheap fix if it works, not much to lose if it does not, compression is about at low end , sounds like it could be tired, sea foam will help loosed rings up over time if stuck

User avatar
Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Posts: 5501
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:33 pm
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Wa.

Re: Blue Smoke

Postby Glen » Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:45 pm

Hi,
Yes, they say on here if the engine is smoking, to put Seafoam oil additive in the engine oil.
They sell it at auto parts stores.
Piston rings commonly get stuck, and then the engine will smoke.
It could help the compression, if the rings are stuck, and the Seafoam loosens them.

Make the engine work doing something when using the additive, so it warms up.
I have read on here of people having good results after using the oil additive.

One of the experts on here said to use the additive for 2 oil change periods.
The 1955 Cub operator's manual says to change the oil every 150 hours of use.
If the piston rings are wornout, the seafoam won't help much.

I have used Rislone, and had good results with that brand, it is an oil additive also.
I haven't used the Seafoam, but have read people's posts about it on here. :)

ntrenn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Posts: 793
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:55 pm
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Indiana

Re: Blue Smoke

Postby ntrenn » Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:15 pm

Stuck rings many times is a result of lightly working the engine. The northstar engine is a prime example. Crop dusting and high oil consumption cured by wot accelerations to 100 mph a half dozen times.

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Posts: 933
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:14 pm
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Greenwood County SC

Re: Blue Smoke

Postby Clemsonfor » Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:16 pm

Glen wrote:Hi,
Yes, they say on here if the engine is smoking, to put Seafoam oil additive in the engine oil.
They sell it at auto parts stores.
Piston rings commonly get stuck, and then the engine will smoke.
It could help the compression, if the rings are stuck, and the Seafoam loosens them.

Make the engine work doing something when using the additive, so it warms up.
I have read on here of people having good results after using the oil additive.

One of the experts on here said to use the additive for 2 oil change periods.
The 1955 Cub operator's manual says to change the oil every 150 hours of use.
If the piston rings are wornout, the seafoam won't help much.

I have used Rislone, and had good results with that brand, it is an oil additive also.
I haven't used the Seafoam, but have read people's posts about it on here. :)

I would say that if you use your cub lightly and change the oil every 150 hours there is a real good chance that you have some sludge issues or good chance you have a stuck ring.

If it's just used to pull a trailer or cultivate a small garden or cut a fence row or something it's possible to take 5 years or more to get those kinds of hours.

Plywud
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:45 pm
Zip Code: 98042

Re: Blue Smoke

Postby Plywud » Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:31 pm

It sounds like the Sea Foam is more popular than the Mystery Oil, or do I try both? It gets used quite regular, just not hard. 150 hours would be more like 6 to 8 weeks.

RJ

User avatar
Greenthumbfarms
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Posts: 324
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:59 pm
Zip Code: 60416
Tractors Owned: 1974 Cub Cadet 1450
1977 Cub Cadet 1650

1950 Farmall Cub (Georgette)
1956 Farmall 230 (Gladys)
1959 Farmall 240 Utility (Heather)
1965 International Cub Lo-Boy (Rochester)
1966John Deere 4020 (Jack)
1975 International Cub (Ozzie)
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Blue Smoke

Postby Greenthumbfarms » Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:01 pm

Clemsonfor wrote:
Glen wrote:Hi,
Yes, they say on here if the engine is smoking, to put Seafoam oil additive in the engine oil.
They sell it at auto parts stores.
Piston rings commonly get stuck, and then the engine will smoke.
It could help the compression, if the rings are stuck, and the Seafoam loosens them.

Make the engine work doing something when using the additive, so it warms up.
I have read on here of people having good results after using the oil additive.

One of the experts on here said to use the additive for 2 oil change periods.
The 1955 Cub operator's manual says to change the oil every 150 hours of use.
If the piston rings are wornout, the seafoam won't help much.

I have used Rislone, and had good results with that brand, it is an oil additive also.
I haven't used the Seafoam, but have read people's posts about it on here. :)

I would say that if you use your cub lightly and change the oil every 150 hours there is a real good chance that you have some sludge issues or good chance you have a stuck ring.

If it's just used to pull a trailer or cultivate a small garden or cut a fence row or something it's possible to take 5 years or more to get those kinds of hours.

I always say if it doesn't get another hours in a year for an oil change, change it anyways. Oil is cheaper than an engine rebuikd
Member with Will County Threshermans Association.
60th Annual Will County Threshermans gas and steam tractor show July 21-24, 2022
https://www.steamshow.org/

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Posts: 1083
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:29 pm
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Michigan

Re: Blue Smoke

Postby Waif » Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:30 am

Check oil level frequently to be sure you're not overfilled from a touch control leak if so equipped. That can give you a smoker. Thins the oil enough to get blowby. (My opinion.) Plus the overfill condition's contribution.

Is the oil pan clean?
As in , do you know the history of oil used , detergent vs non detergent?

IF you don't have a bunch of sludge being circulated , it might be time for an Italian tune up.
Take granny's only putted about carboned up engine car out and bump the r.p.m.s up and run the snot out of it!

Some folks like mystery oil. Others seafoam.
I use seafoam as it's in sight more at stores.

If you have a vertical exhaust and get too ambitious as I did, combined with a hydraulic pump leak ; beware of black volcanic activity splattering all over after exiting the stack.

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Posts: 933
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:14 pm
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Greenwood County SC

Re: Blue Smoke

Postby Clemsonfor » Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:09 pm

Greenthumbfarms wrote:
Clemsonfor wrote:
Glen wrote:Hi,
Yes, they say on here if the engine is smoking, to put Seafoam oil additive in the engine oil.
They sell it at auto parts stores.
Piston rings commonly get stuck, and then the engine will smoke.
It could help the compression, if the rings are stuck, and the Seafoam loosens them.

Make the engine work doing something when using the additive, so it warms up.
I have read on here of people having good results after using the oil additive.

One of the experts on here said to use the additive for 2 oil change periods.
The 1955 Cub operator's manual says to change the oil every 150 hours of use.
If the piston rings are wornout, the seafoam won't help much.

I have used Rislone, and had good results with that brand, it is an oil additive also.
I haven't used the Seafoam, but have read people's posts about it on here. :)

I would say that if you use your cub lightly and change the oil every 150 hours there is a real good chance that you have some sludge issues or good chance you have a stuck ring.

If it's just used to pull a trailer or cultivate a small garden or cut a fence row or something it's possible to take 5 years or more to get those kinds of hours.

I always say if it doesn't get another hours in a year for an oil change, change it anyways. Oil is cheaper than an engine rebuikd


That's what I was getting at, or at least every two years. But I'd me more concerned with condensation and moisture in there than the oil breaking down


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Farmall Cub”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests