This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Changing Front Wheel Width

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Changing Front Wheel Width

Postby Super A » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:30 pm

WildFarmall wrote:Now I am wondering if I took the axel off could I tie one end to a large post or tree and then hook the other end to a Come-A-Long winch and start pulling them apart all the while tapping the tube to break the bind? Has anyone else tried this?

I haven't but I've heard of people doing it. The wildest story I ever heard was someone taking a 1066 axle (same basic design as a Cub but much bigger) and building a fire and after there were plenty of hot coals, putting the whole axle in the fire until it was red hot!

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

andersonbw
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 32578
Tractors Owned: 57 Cub
70 Cub
75 Cub
Model 170 Planter
38L Disk Harrow
Cub 23A Tandem Disk Harrow
Woods 42F Rear Mount Fasthitch Mower
LF-194 Moldboard Plow
Cub-54 Leveling and Grader Blade
Universal Mounting Frame/Cultivators
Howard Rotavator and Creeper Drive

Postby andersonbw » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:24 pm

I've done it two ways: (1) lots of PB Blaster and a hydraulic separator as someone had suggested, (2) using heat and then twisting to get the inner tube to rotate BEFORE trying to slide it out.

I MUCH prefer the heat method. I used my propane burner (for frying a Turkey) to heated each side separately. I turned the burner up high and let it heat for over an hour. It doesn't get red hot (as it would with Oxy/Acetenyl) but it does get plenty hot enough to turn the rust into that black powder (whatever that is). Of course you will need to repaint but it does work.

Once it cooled, I put it on my workbench and clamped it down with one spindle on the bench and the other hanging over the side. I then took a dead blow mallet and whacked it down then up to get the inner tube to rotate within the outer tube. At first the rotation is small but after many smacks it begins to rotate more and more. Once it really begins to rotate, you can pull it out.

This rotation method was much easier and seemed much safer to me than putting a bunch of pressure trying to slide it out using hydraulics.

WildFarmall
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 28570
Tractors Owned: Uncle Hubert - 1940 Farmall A
Aunt Elsie - 1949 Farmall Cub

Postby WildFarmall » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:21 am

Thanks so much andersonbw. I tried yesterday with heating with a small torch and lots of wd40 and had no results. I then bought some PB Blaster and another bottle jack.
Today, I will take your advice and spray with lots of PB Blaster and let it sit for an hour or so. Then I will heat with a large propane burner (I have two so I may use both) so that the whole axel is really hot. Then I will let it cool and try your methods. I think twisting first would be best but if that does not work I will use the two jack method as shown above. I am really worried that I will force something too much and break the axel. Probably hard to find a new one.

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:26 am

As it is cooling, spray some penetrant on it. Sometimes, it will suck in the oil, like soldering copper tubing. I just did that on a FH that refused to budge, otherwise.

Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

WildFarmall
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 28570
Tractors Owned: Uncle Hubert - 1940 Farmall A
Aunt Elsie - 1949 Farmall Cub

Postby WildFarmall » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:14 pm

Hello everyone - I thought that I would give you an update. After about a week or so working on this I was able to get one side of the axel out after much effort. I used a lot of PB Blaster, propane heat, clamps of all kinds, and two bottle jacks, to wrestle one side out. When I tried to do the other side I could not get it to budge no matter what I tried. So I ended up taking it to a machine shop and they removed to using similar methods as I did but added a forklift - I kid you not. It also cost me too much money as they do not do anything cheap.
In any case I was happy to get the axel back and put it all together yesterday afternoon and this morning. I now have my front and rear wheel spacing at @ 4 feet which will be better for my organic farm. Thanks to all that offered advice.
I have not been able to download photos off of my phone to my computer but when I can I will add a couple here.

Return to “Farmall Cub”