This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Awesome tool for sizing pilot bushing

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
sevy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12853

Awesome tool for sizing pilot bushing

Postby sevy » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:43 pm

Per Tim's suggestion, I bought a Flex-hone ball cylinder hone. I got it at Grainger's, size 5/8 diameter in 180 grit. It cost $18.10, and it was a matter of minutes to resize the bore and get my new shaft to fit perfectly. This was my first time removing and replacing a pilot bushing, and the grease/tight bolt method did not work. I used a hacksaw blade to cut a groove in the old one, and then it pulled right out.

Here is a picture of the ball hone, if like me, you were not previously familar with one:

Here is the new bushing all resized and ready for the rest of the clutch pieces to be rebolted:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Awesome tool for sizing pilot bushing

Postby Glen » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:07 pm

Hi,
Looks like a good tool.
Usually a reamer is used in bushings to increase their ID, which should leave a smooth finish in the bushing.
Hopefully the tool you have makes a smooth finish in the bushing.

I don't know if you have the Cub service manual, it gives a running clearance for the clutch shaft in the bushing.
Below is the page with the specs, at Spline and clutch shaft.

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/gss- ... 005-02.jpg

If it doesn't have that much clearance now, I would hone it until it does. You don't want it to get tight on the shaft when using it.
Put a thin layer of grease in the bushing, and on the end of the clutch shaft before putting the Cub together.

Here is some clutch info, if you need it. The Cub service manual has lots of info too.

Check the holes in the throwout bearing holder for wear.
The holder should be held in 1 position side to side so the throwout bearing is centered on the fingers.
The holes sometimes get worn, then the holder is not held in 1 position side to side.

If the holes are worn, the holder should be repaired or replaced.
The long pin at the top of the holder can wear, if it is worn it should be replaced.
TM Tractor has a new pin for all years of Cubs.
They have a new holder, for Cubs serial number 32229, and above, with the external clutch pedal free play adjustment.

The graphite material sticks out of a new throwout bearing 5/16". If the bearing it has is worn much it would be good to replace it while the Cub is apart.
The people on here have said to soak a new throwout bearing in thin motor oil for a day before putting it in, and grease the grease fitting with cheap grease, so the oil in the grease absorbs into the graphite.

Tighten the 6 bolts holding the pressure plate on evenly, it is loading the springs as you tighten the bolts.

The height of the pressure plate fingers should be checked after putting the disc and pressure plate on the flywheel.
They recommend on here the fingers be set to 1 3/16" - 1 1/4" high from the surface the throwout bearing touches, to the surface below them.
Measure carefully, the 3 fingers should form a flat surface for the throwout bearing to push on.

Below is a pic of where to measure to. The finger height is measured with the pressure plate assembled on the flywheel, not off, like the pic is. :)
Attachments
Cub clutch 3.jpg

sevy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12853

Postby sevy » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:30 am

Thanks for the info! Great detailed help!

ntrenn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession

Postby ntrenn » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:57 pm

Great little tool. Almost idiot proof. I won’t use any other hone. Well done!!

Clip
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 24551

Postby Clip » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:35 am

Nice job! I used a big version of this a few months ago to hone cylinders on an engine rebuild. It did a fantastic job there as well, idiot-proof I'd say.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:25 pm

Hi,
If the hone is made for use in cast iron, or steel tubing or cylinders, it may be too coarse for soft material, like the pilot bushing is made of.
If it makes a rough looking finish, with grooves, in the pilot bushing, it is too coarse.

You could look at the ad for the hone, or whatever papers came with it, and see if it says what materials it is made for.

If the ID of the pilot bushing is too rough after using the hone, you could try sanding it with fine sandpaper.
Or you could replace the pilot bushing again, and buy a reamer that cuts a smooth cut. My opinion.
I can't see in your pic if the bushing ID is smooth, it looks like there are grooves.
Last edited by Glen on Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:52 pm

www.enginehones.com I use all there ball hones.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Return to “Farmall Cub”