This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

What's Wrong A IH 300

Farmall H, HV & Super H, 300 & 350, 1939-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

What's Wrong A IH 300

Postby Eugene » Sat May 23, 2020 5:55 pm

Neighbor is looking to sell an IH 300 utility/wide front.

Suggested price was $1100-. Casual walk around, trying to appear not to be interested. I think that the suggested price is about what it would go for at local auction.

Tractor runs and drives, 3-point with additional hydraulic snap couplers. Needs rear tires - bad, battery cables and battery, good washing, Gas.

I asked if the torque amplifier worked. Neighbor said he didn't know if the tractor had one. Which may be correct in that neighbor purchased the tractor shortly before both hips replaced - and he is still not getting around very well.

Questions. Good - bad tractor. Frequent problem areas. Suggestions, recommendations.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Re: What's Wrong A IH 300

Postby Super A » Sat May 23, 2020 8:01 pm

It's basically an updated H with better hydraulics, independent PTO, and a TA. Most had Fast Hitch. To me the TA is the main thing to watch out for, they'll last a long time if they're "out" as long as you keep it in direct drive.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sat May 23, 2020 8:39 pm

Super A wrote:It's basically an updated H with better hydraulics, independent PTO, and a TA. Most had Fast Hitch.
This tractor has a massive, heavy duty, 3-point hitch, powered by single 2 way hydraulic cylinder.

I'll go back tomorrow for a closer look. I'm looking for a heavier tractor than my WD Allis to mount the backhoe.

I think the owner said that this tractor had power steering. Also said that he purchased a tiller for the tractor, another $300-.

We will see.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat May 23, 2020 10:22 pm

IH didn't put a 3-point on that tractor. Whatever is there has to be aftermarket, home made, or something.

The steering gear can be a problem. I don't think it was a big reliability problem but it was one of the weaker points on that tractor. Replacement parts are kind of hard to find and expensive when you find them (parts shared with 350U, probably 330U, nothing else). I've been told power steering had different parts that are even harder to find and more expensive. Bottom line, make sure the steering is in good shape.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sat May 23, 2020 11:02 pm

Thanks for the information guys.

This tractor also has spin out rims. Did find one IH 300 with a close but not identical 3 point set up.

Have been researching the IH 300 most of the evening. Checking the cost and availability of parts.

Will take another look at the tractor, but think I will pass. Suggested price $1100-, plus $850- or so for rear tires and tubes, battery and cables. That brings the price to right around $2000- and doesn't include anything else that needs repairing.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farmall H, HV, Super H, 300 & 350”