This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Remove/Replace Flywheel Ring Gear

Time saving tips to keep your Cub running smooth
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Remove/Replace Flywheel Ring Gear

Postby Eugene » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:40 pm

How to remove and replace the Cub's flywheel ring gear.
George Willer wrote:Use a drift and do it cold. To re-install it just heat it with a torch until it is uncomfortable to hold and it will slip right on.
Son and I placed a spacer under the center of the flywheel. Clamped the flywheel to the welding bench. Large aluminum drift, hammer, worked around the ring several times until the ring dropped off.

Emery cloth, touched up the new ring location on the flywheel.

Wood spacers to keep new ring off the metal welding bench. Heated the ring to 350 degrees F. Large bevel inside ring down, dropped the ring over the flywheel. Fell in place.

Used a MagTorch, propane and MAPP gas torch nozzle. Took about 1/2 of a small propane cylinder.

Thermal imaged the ring. 250 degrees F and the ring wasn't quite ready to drop on the flywheel. 350 degrees F, dropped in place.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Remove/Replace Flywheel Ring Gear

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:29 pm

I've heated to remove them. Good to know that they can be knocked off easily.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Return to “Engine, Clutch, Transmission and Hydraulics”