This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Fuel tank cleaning

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Uncle carbunkle
Zip Code: 08345

Fuel tank cleaning

Postby Uncle carbunkle » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:36 pm

In getting one of my cubs back together I was wondering what others used to clean up inside old tanks. I have used a few common methods with old bikes and cars one of which I picked up restoring old British cars. We used a cement mixer with two pieces of angle welded to the drum and a light mix of muriatic acid water and 3/8 nuts for agitation ..... what other methods have you fellas used ?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Fuel tank cleaning

Postby Stanton » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:46 am

I've heard of people using nuts inside and then strapping the tank to the wheel of a tractor and riding around.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:13 am

I have a couple Coleman power plant founts to clean out.
Debating about using some Prestone radiator cleaner , after checking to see that it still contains a lot of citric acid.
Then add steel b.b.'s. (A flex handle magnet can help retrieve strays later) and wish I had a paint shaker...

Water/all moisture will need to be removed after rinsing.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:51 am

Stanton wrote:I've heard of people using nuts inside and then strapping the tank to the wheel of a tractor and riding around.

This may be what you're referring to. Definitely not driving the Cub around. http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18983&hilit=tank+cleaning A couple of pics, down in the thread, show Rick's setup.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Uncle carbunkle
Zip Code: 08345

Postby Uncle carbunkle » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:01 pm

Stanton wrote:I've heard of people using nuts inside and then strapping the tank to the wheel of a tractor and riding around.

this is precisely the reason i joined the forum and though that sounds a bit ecentric i have to say after staring at all the tractors i have laying around im sure i would have visioned that at some point. Cant wait to update pops on the new fangled ideaer there !

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:28 pm

Bill Hudson wrote:

This may be what you're referring to. Definitely not driving the Cub around. http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18983&hilit=tank+cleaning A couple of pics, down in the thread, show Rick's setup.

Bill

Uncle carbunkle wrote:

this is precisely the reason i joined the forum and though that sounds a bit ecentric i have to say after staring at all the tractors i have laying around im sure i would have visioned that at some point. Cant wait to update pops on the new fangled ideaer there !

HaHa!! My bad!! :oops:

I know I read CUB in your post, but am currently working on a Farmall AV. You meant what you wrote--CUB; I pictured what I was working on--AV. No, I wouldn't suggest strapping a Cub gas tank/hood to a tractor and riding around with it. A smaller tank with a detached hood, yes.

Sorry about that.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:23 pm

With a Cub tank, it might work better to strap the tank to a tractor wheel then jack the tractor up enough for the tank to clear the ground. Adequately block the tractor in place. Let it idle in low gear for a while.

Duner
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Duner » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:35 pm

I use cement mixer and tumbling shot.

790rivers
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 12764
eBay ID: Jsimon1
Tractors Owned: 1952 Cub fast hitch, Woods RM59 Fast Hitch, Mott 48" flail fast hitch, 153 Disc plow

Postby 790rivers » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:46 pm

I just tackled two old farmall cub gas tanks that were terribly rusty inside. I took off the sediment bowls and took them to my local car wash and power washed the interiors ( I should invest in a power washer some day). Then I corked the sediment bowl holes and filled them both to the brim with white vinegar and let them sit for a week (I think two weeks would be even better). Took out the corks and drained them and took them back to the car wash for another power wash inside. They are not perfect by any means, but given how terrible they were, I am thrilled with the results.

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:03 am

The white vinegar in the supermarket is 5% acid. If you look around online there are 30% solutions. it usually used as a "natural" weed killer. I got some to clean some concrete that did not clean well with just a power washer. I plan on using it on some cub projects.

I also just got a media attachment for my power washer. It will draw in some blast media ( I would recommend some light like walnut shells or soda ash on sheet metal) along with the water. I have yet to try that. It makes the power washer a wet blaster.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

Adamshan
Zip Code: 46140

Postby Adamshan » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:39 pm

In my experance, throwing a old chain in the tank and rotating the tank on a tractor wheel or something works very well. Then when you're done you can just pull the chain out instead of trying to dump all the nuts and junk out.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:36 pm

Adamshan wrote:In my experance, throwing a old chain in the tank and rotating the tank on a tractor wheel or something works very well. Then when you're done you can just pull the chain out instead of trying to dump all the nuts and junk out.

That is a BRILLIANT idea! :worthy:

Return to “Farmall Cub”