This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Crankshaft Pulley

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
kaleb58loboy
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 18848

Crankshaft Pulley

Postby kaleb58loboy » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:45 pm

Hello
How far should be the pulley on the crankshaft?
Believe none of what you hear
Half of what you read
All of what you see.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Crankshaft Pulley

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:57 pm

Until it bottoms out. (Not sure if that is the answer you need or if you are trying to determine if it has bottomed.)

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:21 pm

The pulley/crankshaft is a compression fit and as Jim states, the pulley is suppose to bottom out on the crankshaft.
kaleb58loboy wrote:How to repair wallowed crankshaft keyway.
What size drill /tap crankshaft pulley for set screw to crankshaft.
The key is to align the pulley and crankshaft to TDC during pulley installation. If installed correctly, no need for the set screw.

Depending on how wallowed out the crankshaft keyway, I would see how straight up and down the key is in the slot. I would set the key straight up and down and reset the pulley. You will or should be within a degree or two of having the pulley set correctly.

Being off a degree or two will make the tractor hard starting if the spark occurs prior to TDC. Timing light and a slight bit of fiddling with distributor location will get the tractor starting and running properly.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:06 pm

The two I saw placed at the Louisiana Cubfest had about 1/8" space from the front engine cover to the end of the pulley. So about 1/8" of shiny shaft was visible. You will know when it has bottomed out; no more movement inward.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

kaleb58loboy
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 18848

Postby kaleb58loboy » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:03 pm

Eugene wrote:The pulley/crankshaft is a compression fit and as Jim states, the pulley is suppose to bottom out on the crankshaft.
kaleb58loboy wrote:How to repair wallowed crankshaft keyway.
What size drill /tap crankshaft pulley for set screw to crankshaft.
The key is to align the pulley and crankshaft to TDC during pulley installation. If installed correctly, no need for the set screw.

Depending on how wallowed out the crankshaft keyway, I would see how straight up and down the key is in the slot. I would set the key straight up and down and reset the pulley. You will or should be within a degree or two of having the pulley set correctly.

Being off a degree or two will make the tractor hard starting if the spark occurs prior to TDC. Timing light and a slight bit of fiddling with distributor location will get the tractor starting and running properly.

Standing in front of the tractor the crank keyway is peened over to the left,the right side of the keyway is perfect and the key fits dead nuts against that side,the old pulley had to be cut off,however I have new keys and a new pulley.
I thought that maybe a little Loctite 660 to fill the gap where the keyway was peened over, I have since polished the shaft so should have on trouble installing the pulley.I'm adding the set screw for insurance.old AC tractors had them from the factory.
Believe none of what you hear
Half of what you read
All of what you see.

Clubless
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27041
Tractors Owned: ---------
1948 Farmall Cub #56596
1950 Farmall Cub #101608
1950 Farmall Cub #106823
1955 Farmall Cub #188789

Postby Clubless » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:14 pm

How did your repair work out? I am having a pulley issue on my cub.

Thanks
Gary

Return to “Farmall Cub”