This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

SUPER-A STARTING PROBLEM

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 71770

SUPER-A STARTING PROBLEM

Postby Dan England » Mon Jul 05, 2004 12:25 pm

My Super-A has always started almost instantly. A few weeks ago it failed to start. I have tried with and without using the choke. I drained the tank and and added new gas. I removed the carb for cleaning. I tried spraying starter fluid in the manifold while the carb was off. It would fire on one cylinder but would not run. A day or two ago it started instantly and ran smoothly. It has not started since that time. The plugs will fire but I don't know if they fire hot enough. With this info, can someone advise me on what I should try next. As always, your suggestions are appreciated. Dan

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Mon Jul 05, 2004 12:38 pm

Dan, it sounds more like an ignition problem than a carb problem to me. I'd start by cleaning and re-gapping the points and checking all connections in the ignition system. What does the spark look like when it won't start?
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Dan England » Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:06 pm

Bigdog: The spark is yellowish-white at the mag and at the spark plugs. I have never attempted to work with the points. I will do some reading and then try to clean and set gap if needed. Meanwhile, I am having a similar problem with a Cub. Have owned both the Cub and Super-A for two or three years and they have been very dependable starting and running. Both quit with similar behavior in a two day span. I will post the Cub on the cub forum. I will appreciate your taking a look at the info on it also. Thanks, Dan

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:24 pm

Dan England wrote:Both quit with similar behavior in a two day span.

That suggests bad gas.

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Dan England » Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:18 pm

Jim: I thought about old gas. However, replacing old gas with new has not solved the problem. I am always open to other suggestions which you might have. Dan

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby parts man » Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:46 pm

Dan, it's not uncommon in a no-start situation for the unburnt gas to foul the plugs. Try putting in a new set now with the fresh gas.
V.P. of T.S.A. (taking stuff apart)

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Dan England » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:15 pm

Partsman: I will try a new set of plugs and let you know if this solves the problem. Thanks, Dan

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”