This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

50-AW PULLEY/GEAR REDUCER SEAL

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
conservationman
Zip Code: 53126
Tractors Owned: 1947 case VAC
1961 Ford641
1948 c-60 from 50-T Baler
Circle of Safety: Y

50-AW PULLEY/GEAR REDUCER SEAL

Postby conservationman » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:52 am

I need to replace the seal #69239D but can't find a source or cross number. Can anyone help?
Also

Are there any adjustments I should check now that it's apart?
And
What is this for?
pulley housing SMALL.jpg

Thanks
Wally

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: 50-AW PULLEY/GEAR REDUCER SEAL

Postby Eugene » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:05 am

What to heck is a 50-AW pulley/gear reducer and what is it used on/for?

On the seal. Measure the shaft diameter at the seal lip location and the seal's outside diameter/location diameter. Take the seal to an auto parts store or tractor dealership. With your measurements and measurements taken by the retailer, they should be able to match up the seal.
I have an excuse. CRS.

conservationman
1961 Ford641

Postby conservationman » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:19 am

left side 2.jpg
Sorry
The 50-AW is a baler powered by a c-60 (CUB) engine. It has a Pulley/gear reducer at a gight angle off of the back

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:32 am

If you google that #, there is one on eBay that says it's for a Continental engine, but the pulley/reducer may have been the same for both. That plug may be a level plug/drain plug for the oil level (?).
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:54 am

That's a Bates part number. Local auto parts store should be able to have the part shipped in and there the next day.

Or cross reference the number, and still have the part on hand the next day. Plus no postage and handling charge.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:04 pm

It appears that seal was unique to the balers, may be hard to find or cross reference. Roy's Red Iron lists one. But you probably will have to call him to see.
https://www.roysrediron.com/current-inventory.html

There are 3 or 4 reasons for a pipe plug in virtually any housing that holds oil. Sometimes one plug will serve two of those purposes. Sometimes a need is handled by another method. Look at where they are in the housing to know the purpose. The big three:
1. Drain plug. It is at the bottom of the reservoir. Sometimes there is no drain plug if it can be drained by removing another part (like the Cub final drive pan).
2. Filler plug. It is usually the highest plug on the reservoir. It is usually big enough to make filling fairly easy. These may be drilled to provide venting.
3. Level plug. This is often a small diameter plug. Oil is normally added to the height of this plug. You add oil through the filler until it starts to run out the level plug. "Full" may also be listed as something like "within 1/2 inch" or a similar instruction. Read the manual. Filler and level is often combined as a single filler/level plug (like the Cub Touch-Control). There are some applications where a level measurement tool is incorporated with the filler, as a dipstick built into the filler plug or a separate part that works as a dipstick and is accessed after the filler plug is removed.

And there is one more reason to have a plug:
4. A plug that is there for repair purposes, to access some part or to provide a way to observe or effect an adjustment. These can usually be identified by an odd location that doesn't seem to fit the other purposes, an exceptionally large size, or the fact that the other three purposes have already been accounted for with other plugs.

So back to your original question. The small plug you are pointing at appears to be above the other plug, although your picture is at an angle that makes it hard to tell. My guess is it is a filler/vent plug. (The flat at 5 o'clock looks a little oilier than the surrounding area and is probably a vent.) The other plug may be the level plug. However, given the size and location, I suspect it is an access plug so you can see (and thus adjust) the mesh of the bevel gears.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:51 pm

Jim Becker wrote:It appears that seal was unique to the balers, may be hard to find or cross reference. Roy's Red Iron lists one. But you probably will have to call him to see.
https://www.roysrediron.com/current-inventory.html.
Eugene wrote:Measure the shaft diameter at the seal lip location and the seal's outside diameter/location diameter. Take the seal to an auto parts store or tractor dealership. With your measurements and measurements taken by the retailer, they should be able to match up the seal.
I have an excuse. CRS.

conservationman
1961 Ford641

Postby conservationman » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:57 pm

It seams that no-one makes seals of this size anymore. I finally got one from Roy's Red Iron. It took awhile as Roy hasn't been feeling well.

It is a leather seal and has been in the original package for who knows how long. It feesl quite hard.
What do I need to know about leather seals and do I need to soften it somehow?

thansk again
Wally

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:00 am

I'm old enough to remember leather seals, but not an expert on them. There may have been a specific dressing for them, perhaps someone else will chime in. But otherwise, I would probably soak it in oil or oil-based grease for a day or two before installing. Otherwise you may damage it at startup.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:48 am

I have not installed a leather seal in many years, but if I were to, I'd soak it in motor oil, as Rick suggested, before installing.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:13 am

Agree with both of the above. Back when they were common, we gave them a good coating of oil. We made sure there was a liberal amount on the rough (inner) side of the leather. If you think the leather has dried, I would probably turn it face down and fill the inner side of the leather to let it soak or let it soak in a small container of oil for a day or two.

conservationman
1961 Ford641

Postby conservationman » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:34 am

It is soaking away!!

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”