This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Home for a tractor

Got a project that you are working on that is not a tractor? Maybe a barn to hold your tractors or just fun stuff like woodworking, glass, tools, sheds, gardens, custom implements, etc., this is the place to talk about it.
maybeacub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 10517
Tractors Owned: IH Cub 1972
Mahindra 2615HST
Ariens GT16
Sold- Oliver Super 55

Home for a tractor

Postby maybeacub » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:57 pm

Here's a project I finally got started. I have a block building the previous owner used as a screen room probably to eat in during summer. I started blocking in all the screens and adding glass block for light. Currently I am working on the roof. I added a top plate to the block (all 4 sides were different heights) so I can attach rafters and build a new roof. The old roof rafters are tree branches and are rotting away from the ends up and the shingles are no good. Right now it's covered with a tarp to keep out water till the new roof gets built. The front (side with screen door) will be removed and a large door built so I can get a tractor in. Right now it's narrowed down to a cub or an 8N.

Greg

shedresize.jpg
"I have nothing to do today and by noon I want to be half done"

1972 Cub
Ariens GT16
Mahindra 2615

maybeacub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Mahindra 2615HST
Ariens GT16
Sold- Oliver Super 55

Re: Home for a tractor

Postby maybeacub » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:59 pm

Attached a pic or so I thought!
shedresize.jpg

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:08 pm

That should work well when it's done.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

T-Mo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63628
Tractors Owned: '40 H
'44 B
'47 Cub
'49 C
54A Blade
42 Woods Mower
Henderson Loader
Cultivators
No. 8 Little Genius 2-12 Plow
IH Running Gear

Postby T-Mo » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:15 am

Nice. I like the block construction. Is the new roof going to be shingles or metal?

maybeacub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Mahindra 2615HST
Ariens GT16
Sold- Oliver Super 55

Postby maybeacub » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:24 am

Probably shingle. I have a stack left over from the house and garage roof so I want to use them up.

1972 Cub
Ariens GT16
Mahindra 2615

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:10 am

Sounds like a good plan, but I think we need to start a pool on the website as to how long before you decided you need a larger building. :lol:
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

maybeacub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Mahindra 2615HST
Ariens GT16
Sold- Oliver Super 55

Postby maybeacub » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:12 am

Oh, I already know that! Just workin with what I have. :')

1972 Cub
Ariens GT16
Mahindra 2615

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:26 pm

Building appears to be about 12' X 18'. I would turn it into a garden tool storage shed. If the building has electricity, also a small work shop.

It will probably work well if you are just going to park the Cub.
I have an excuse. CRS.

maybeacub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Mahindra 2615HST
Ariens GT16
Sold- Oliver Super 55

Postby maybeacub » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Hey Eugene,
That's close on the measurements. A little smaller though. Interior may be 9.5x15. I may raise the roof for more overhead storage and probably two large doors on the opening so I can park a Cub inside. Once the front is removed the rough opening will be ~8 ft. As it was it was neither secure or weather tight so just turned into a junk storage building. By closing in all the screen windows and adding lockable doors it becomes a useful building regardless of what ends up inside. I did trench a conduit to it for electric, just have to run the line from the panel in the garage.
Greg

1972 Cub
Ariens GT16
Mahindra 2615

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:46 pm

To be honest, a 9.5x15 building will be big enough to park a cub in but will only leave about 2 feet on each side and 3 feet in the front and rear to move around in. No room for a tool box, work bench or room to move around. Personally I would not spend any money on putting a garage door or other improvements in it. I would level it and put up a two car garage or something similar. You would be money ahead. I'm not knocking what you have, but just trying to be honest.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:51 am

Barnyard wrote:I would level it and put up a two car garage or something similar. You would be money ahead.
Generally agree with Bill. You are likely to have $2000- or perhaps more in a do it yourself remodel of the structure. That's the UF (underground electrical wire), electrical panel, garage door, walk in door, roof framing, roofing material, and more. The of course here is that the construction can be completed over a period of time.

And then, the improvements to the building may be taxable on the real estate portion of the property tax.

If I didn't knock it down, I would finish off the roof, making the building weather tight and secure.

If you haven't done so, research local, state, zoning and taxing real estate regulations. The objective is to reduce your property tax obligations. Example. In Missouri residential and ag/farm land are taxed at different rates. On a farm, the 5 acres surrounding the house/home are taxed at the residential rate. Balance of the farm is taxed at the ag land rate. If you were to build a new farm building, placement would effect the tax rate.
I have an excuse. CRS.

maybeacub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Mahindra 2615HST
Ariens GT16
Sold- Oliver Super 55

Postby maybeacub » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:26 am

I couldn't agree more. I would love a larger building. This structure already exists so as long as I keep the same footprint it won't affect taxes. The building as it sits is pretty useless to me other than storage for stuff that I don't care too much if they are in the weather all the time not to mention all the bird nests and critters that want to move in. Investing the money to close in the building and make it weather tight makes it usable for a variety of things, tractor garage, shop space, tool room, ham shack etc. so I see it as money reasonably spent. Also it will be more attractive when/if the time comes to sell and move somewhere more affordable.

Greg

1972 Cub
Ariens GT16
Mahindra 2615

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:39 pm

From the looks, anything you do will be an improvement (particularly the new roof). It is pretty small to serve as much of a work shop. A work surface hinged to the back wall so it can swing up/down to move out of the way could be useful. It would be an OK putter space in fair weather. I have a shed, inside about 12x16. The PO built in a work bench along one side, leaving me with about as much space as you will have. A Cub would pretty well fill it. You would probably have room enough to do something like a tune-up, but nothing more major. I store some garden tractor sized stuff along with shovels, hoes etc. but that fills it.

maybeacub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Mahindra 2615HST
Ariens GT16
Sold- Oliver Super 55

Postby maybeacub » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:07 pm

That's how I see it Jim, it will be an improvement and a place to tinker, or a place to store stuff from the other outbuilding so I have more room in that one to do some tinkering and that room is heated.

1972 Cub
Ariens GT16
Mahindra 2615

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:52 am

Don't know if you push or ride for mowing duties, but it would make a nice shed for a Cub Cadet garden tractor, in addition to yard tools and a small bench; or go the full-sized Cub route as you've already said. Either way, it's an improvement to what you have without raising your taxes.

Thanks for sharing your project with us.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety