This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New Wood Shed

Got a project that you are working on that is not a tractor? Maybe a barn to hold your tractors or just fun stuff like woodworking, glass, tools, sheds, gardens, custom implements, etc., this is the place to talk about it.
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

New Wood Shed

Postby Rudi » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:37 pm

I have been wanting some place to store our winter firewood out of the weather so that it will dry properly and remain dry. We have always been weather dependent when it comes to bringing in the wood and I wanted to eliminate that barrier as well. Thought about it for a long time ... even longer than the pole barn project. Every time I cut the grass I would be thinking, visualizing, trying to figure out the best way to do it, utilize stock already in my possession .. you know -- day dreaming :big smile:

Since coming back from Cecils a couple years ago - 2013 I think it was... things have been limited. The only thing I really could do was cut the grass - especially after Ray fabricated my last day dreaming project for the back of the JD. So ... this fall I said . that's it .. needs to be done. With Em involved so much taking care of Sam, Amanda battling MS and other issues - the renovation plans have been put on hold for the house - but darn it all - something has to be done.

So this project went onto the front burner and I decided to just giterdone :!: I can't do much but design, supervise, order stock etc... so Ray of course is over to help and Mario who has been doing a lot of work for Em and I is a big part of this project.

A number of years ago Dad and I salvaged a schoolyard .. yeah a whole schoolyard fence structure - posts with bases, top rails, caps, clamps and of course the fencing. Dad always said stuff like this would come in handy - even 20 years down the road. He as usual was right :D I have already used many of the bases as guy support bases for my Ham tower, antennas, flag poles .. etc., very handy. As you can see - they came in handy again :!:

Drilling the holes was a two weekend affair pretty much and on the second weekend Duane and his buddies decided that they was coming to help :{_}:

As you can see, grade can be deceiving - even though the grade appears level it drops about 2 feet or so over 30 feet of run. The decking has to be level and square - it will get there.

All told, we utilized 16 of those salvaged concrete bases and fence posts. Saved a few bucks on that one !

All the structural material close to grade is Pressure treated.

Mario leveled the whole deck then cut off all of the posts flush with the 2"x6" rim joists and the centre laminated beam. The center beam consists of a pair of rim joists filled with 2"x6" cut-offs laminated together. Nothing is going to be moving here.

Used 1"x6" PT veranda flooring for the deck surface. This should last my life and most of my kids as well. At least that is the hope.

Mostly 2"x4" standard SFP stock - western framing along with a mix of modified Post and Beam ideas. The posts are tripled 2"x4" with doubled 2"x6" headers under the top plate. Need it sturdy :-)

On the deck you can see parts that were salvaged from a bunch of commercial 52 foot 5/12 pitch trusses built from 2"x6" and 2"x3" webbing. This was part of a job that Ray did - he told the carpenters not to put up the trusses that day - best to do it the next day cause of the impending storm that night. They didn't listen. When the storm subsided (a fall Nor'easter) every last truss that they put up was down... some damaged and some not. They paid Ray to remove those trusses and then to put up the replacements. He needed some place to store the trusses - thought he might build a garage for his cranes - plans changed .. so we decided it was time to use em or lose em ..

18 of those trusses had the ends cut off and rebuilt to fit the width of the wood shed. I wanted a slightly lower pitch .. 4/12 but hey .. it is cheap and it works real good.

Most of the damage to those trusses were on the tails, so the fix will be to sister in new tails as the framing gets closer to being done. As you can see Ray has himself a nice setup to redo the trusses. Which means new gussets at the joints. We used 1/2" plywood instead of trying to reuse those galvanized steel gussets - way too difficult to remove.

All done :-)

This one needs a new tail..... :(

Trusses going up! Nice to have an auger truck .. a mini-crane :-)

Mario hard at work.

Trusses all installed. 2"x4" purlins and fascia all done.

Made sure that the roof matched the shop .....

Voila! - the whole reason for the project.

My buddy, neighbour and primary sivilculturist - Bruce Baisley. A true woodsman and an artist with a chain saw.

So we should be already now for the winters ahead. All of the split wood is now in the shed. The only thing left will be to trim out the ends and sills with aluminum and side it to match the shop. That will be in the spring.

The balance of the trusses - I guess there was 23 or 24 of them have been salvaged and all the stock is sitting in the wood shed waiting for spring when Bruce and his buddy are going to utilize all that timber for my next project....

Hope you enjoyed the project. I know I did. And I didn't have to lift a finger :-)
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Re: New Wood Shed

Postby Bill Hudson » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:54 pm

Rudi,

Looks like that will "keep the powder dry." :) :) Very nicely done.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:10 pm

Great looking wood shed. I don't see much snow on the ground. Have you had a dry winter, or are these pictures from last year?

Bob

I wasn't familiar with the term "silviculturist", had to look that one up.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

randallc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 72940
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub, 152 disk plow, 2 gang disk, belly mower, sickle mower
1949 Farmall Cub, cultivator, moldboard plow, disk,front blade. Cub Cadet, LTX1045 Mower. Cub Cadet's 109, 125, 1000, and 1250
1961 cub c2 belly mower and full blade. 48 cub manual lift with cultivators.
1947 Cub

Postby randallc » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:44 am

Now that my friend (though we've never met in person) is one fine looking wood shed. Thanks to all the mental engineering you have done and friends you have made to help it out. And, every project needs a good planner/supervisor. Great vision, great job. Enjoyed it very much. May God's Blessing's be great on you and your family and friends.
Guinea, 1951 Farmall Cub; Jumping Willy, 1949 Farmall Cub, 61 Cub, Scrapy, and 48 Cub Al, 48 cub, Billy D.

OliverFarmall
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18822
eBay ID: ranger_jer

Postby OliverFarmall » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:48 am

Rudi
Great looking shed. Hope God is blessing all involved. I wish Anna and I were closer, we'd have loved to help, but prayers and thoughts will have to do. I love that it's almost all "recycled" !
22 sickle bar mower x2
23A tandem disc harrow
144 cultivator (#53 & #97 spring tooth)
154 leveling and grader blade
189 moldboard plow 2-way
193 moldboard plow x2

spring tooth harrows
David Bradley planter (modded for Cub)

Donegal Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Donegal Cub » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:33 pm

Great job, very solid construction Rudi.
Bernard,
Donegal Cub.

Steve-N-Tn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37090
Tractors Owned: 1953 Farmall Super M
1948 Farmall H
!949 Farmall C
1947 Cub
1950 Cub
1951 Cub
1948 Ford 8N
1949 Ford 8N
1952 Ford 8N
1953 Ford Jubilee
1950 John Deere G

Postby Steve-N-Tn » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:33 pm

Wow Rudi--what a shed!! Will keep that wood dry for sure! Thanks for sharing!!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:19 am

Thanks guys .. the comments are appreciated.

Bob: most of the construction was done before our major snowfalls. There is over 5 feet of snow on the ground now and we have had over 8 feet so far this winter. Managed to giterdone before the white stuff shut everything down.

Jeremy: I try to use as much recycled as I can. There is far too much good stock going to landfills as waste. The pole barn used a lot of seconds, recycled telephone poles and recycled steel. Even the insulation was recovered from a plaza that was being torn down as well as a lot of the electrical supplies. The sheathing was also reclaimed from construction sites. You would be surprised - 3/4 sheets tossed into a dumpster cause it costs too much to send someone down off the roof to pick up the off-cut :shock: :roll: :cry:

randall: yeah that is basically what I am relegated to when it comes to major stuff now. I just gotta get used to it. Gonna be hard cause I have always been a giterdone meself kind of guy...
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:58 pm

Thanks for sharing your latest project--and what a good one! Glad to see/hear you got it done before snowfall. How is it holding up to all the snow load?

Hoping the Lord's best for you, brother.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:09 pm

Stanton:

With that pitch, snow don't stay on the roof too long :-) just sorta slides right off. Same with the shop. Only roof that gets any buildup at all is the pole barn as it is more 3.5/12.

I am really looking forward to seeing how the shed fares with the snow side load though.

So far He is providing.

Return to “Projects Forum”