This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Trailer Brake Troubleshooting--Dragging Brakes

Got a project that you are working on that is not a tractor? Maybe a barn to hold your tractors or just fun stuff like woodworking, glass, tools, sheds, gardens, custom implements, etc., this is the place to talk about it.
Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Trailer Brake Troubleshooting--Dragging Brakes

Postby Super A » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:00 pm

I went to a local show this weekend, pulled my trailer loaded with my Cub and Super A about 12-15 miles. When I got home with my loaded trailer (loaded at the farm the day before the show) I got out and smelled something-discovered all 4 hubs on the trailer were too hot to touch. When I got ready to leave for the show the next morning, I reduced the sensitivity on my brake controller and took off. When I got to the show, maybe 8 miles from home, I checked my hubs and three felt cool while one was very hot. So when I got ready to go home, I just disconnected the trailer hookup from the truck and drove home with no trailer brakes---the offending hub was still hot when I got to the farm. So, what do I need to look at on the brakes? I have never had a hub off before so I don't know what to expect. The trailer is a Load Trail and I believe it has Dexter axles under it.

thanks,
Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Trailer Brake Troubleshooting--Dragging Brakes

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:39 pm

The one hot hub with brakes disconnected means that either your bearings are too tight or need grease, or your brake is out of adjustment. You should be able to jack it up and tell by turning the wheel. If it is the brake dragging there is an adjustment slot near the bottom of the backing plate you can reach through with an adjuster tool to turn the star wheel and loosen them. When all of them were hot at first, your brake controller was probably out of adjustment. Many of them have both a sensitivity wheel, and a LEVEL wheel. The level wheel needs to be set anytime your trailer load is changed and causes the rear of your truck to be a different height. Read the instructions for your controller as to the proper way to do it, since it varies by maker
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:31 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:The one hot hub with brakes disconnected means that either your bearings are too tight or need grease, or your brake is out of adjustment. You should be able to jack it up and tell by turning the wheel. If it is the brake dragging there is an adjustment slot near the bottom of the backing plate you can reach through with an adjuster tool to turn the star wheel and loosen them. When all of them were hot at first, your brake controller was probably out of adjustment. Many of them have both a sensitivity wheel, and a LEVEL wheel. The level wheel needs to be set anytime your trailer load is changed and causes the rear of your truck to be a different height. Read the instructions for your controller as to the proper way to do it, since it varies by maker

Thanks John I will check it out. I just had time to jack it up Saturday evening and the bearings felt ok, but I was in a rush so I will check it closer. It has never given a minute's trouble, just hook up and go. It has "bearing buddies" on it and I periodically give them all a shot of grease, but now might be a good time to go ahead and pull all 4 wheels and grease them the old fashioned way.

I will double-check my controller, I think it just has a sensitivity wheel. I got it when I got the trailer from the trailer dealer, and it was a pretty basic unit.

thanks again,
Al

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:54 pm

Some of the basic controllers are time based, and when brake lights come on they begin applying braking and keep turning it up. If your brake light switch sticks and your lights stay on it will apply brakes even when you are not stopping. They are more expensive, but I strongly recommend something on the order of a Tekonsha Prodigy or Primus. Well worth the extra money.

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:06 pm

The Bearing Buddies are not a substitute for packing the wheel bearings. The purpose for the Bearing Buddies is to keep the hubs filled with grease to keep water out and also to purge water out of the hub.

Many brake controllers use a internal pendulum and it must be adjusted once the controller is mounted. Once the controller is mounted an external lever is adjusted to the vertical position to properly adjust the pendulum. A quick glance at that lever will tell if the pendulum is properly adjusted. Possibly the lever was bumped out of position. At least it's something to look at.... :wink:
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:53 pm

Worked on the trailer Friday. Turns out the problem was the linings had come off both shoes on the offending wheel and had wadded up between the shoes and the drum. The parts man at NAPA did some digging and ID'd the shoes I need but they were not in stock. I went ahead and replaced the wheel bearings because I didn't know just how hot they got.

Our club plow day was yesterday and I needed the trailer, so I put the old shoes back on, minus pads, and drew the adjuster in as far as it would go so it hopefully wouldn't rub on the drum.

Al

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:08 pm

Try redline-parts.com

Lightning rod
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 30206
Tractors Owned: Only the one cub at the moment

Postby Lightning rod » Tue May 05, 2015 5:37 pm

I know I'm a few months late on this vine, but, agri supply.com sells the whole brake assembly for a relatively affordable price. It's easier than searching for a set of brakes to fit. If you have tandem axles you can throw down a service ramp and drive the good axle on it to jack it. Doing that you can change the whole assembly in about twenty minutes. Might be good to know if you go through it again
Everything worth learning, I learned on the farm

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Tue May 05, 2015 8:56 pm

Papascub wrote:I know I'm a few months late on this vine, but, agri supply.com sells the whole brake assembly for a relatively affordable price. It's easier than searching for a set of brakes to fit. If you have tandem axles you can throw down a service ramp and drive the good axle on it to jack it. Doing that you can change the whole assembly in about twenty minutes. Might be good to know if you go through it again

Not too late! I haven't had to pull it much, although it went all the way to WV to get my white demo Super A parts tractor with brakes on three wheels! I need to go ahead and get it fixed, will check into this.

Al

AllanD
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 28104

Postby AllanD » Wed May 06, 2015 6:15 am

Al, I have used a trailer parts place in Wilmington that is probably not that far way from you. They were very helpful when I was replacing bearings and adding disc brakes to a boat trailer a few years ago. Give them a a call.

http://lighthousemarinetrailer.com/

Return to “Projects Forum”