This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Armour Metals Pole Barn

Got a project that you are working on that is not a tractor? Maybe a barn to hold your tractors or just fun stuff like woodworking, glass, tools, sheds, gardens, custom implements, etc., this is the place to talk about it.
Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Armour Metals Pole Barn

Postby Super A » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:05 pm

I have been planning a shop since, well....for a long time. The problem is, I find another tractor I want and there goes the shop fund. Well, I've reached a point that "something has to be done."

I have seen this outfit online several times. I really like these steel trusses, especially the way they bolt directly to the posts.

Anyone see any problems with a design like this? Anyone have experience with Armour Metals? Can't find much online about them but what I have found is positive.

http://www.armourmetals.com/

My notion is to buy the trusses from them, and all the other materials locally.

thanks,
Al

White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: Armour Metals Pole Barn

Postby Eugene » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:49 pm

Investigate the cost of a fully erected structure.

I had a shop, post barn, contractor built. The experienced crew showed up with all the materials stacked on a trailer, a skid steer with auger and gin pole, generator set, etc.. Everything needed to construct the building.

My contractor built structure was less expensive than doing it myself.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jason (IL)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60936
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub SN 8664
48 Cub
50 Demo
54 Cub
3-55 Cub
2-56 Cub
55 LOBOY SN 876
57 LOBOY
58 French Cub
2- 60 LOBOY
69 Cub
54 Super M
42 H
48 H
57 300LP
57 450
Cub Cadet 123
Cub Cadet 149

Postby Jason (IL) » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:01 pm

I am with Eugene, I have priced a building out and found it would only cost me about $5,000 to have a crew put it up. It was a 30 x 45 building total was around $21,000 built. I could not do it myself for that since I would have had to rent some equipment and my time. They said it would take them 4 days, it would have taken me weeks.

My opinion.
Good luck, the bigger the better.

Roy47
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30549
Tractors Owned: 62 Cub Lowboy
76 Ford 1600
555 Ford backhoe
67 Cub
Economy Jim Dandy
69 Massey Ferguson 135
Yanmar 2700
Case 1840 skid steer
2 - John Deere model 112

Postby Roy47 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:56 pm

Al, if you notice from their web site they are an August Georgia company, so they got to be a bunch of great guys. I have never had much dealing with them just some email concerning their trust. However I do have a neighbor that invited me down a while back to see his new barn and it was built out of those trust. They looked good and went together tight. He's got a nice barn that he's proud of, as he should be.
From my investigating they seem to be a good way to go. However if you are going to build a large building they can get heavy so you are probably going to need someway to set them.
Good luck
Roy

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:31 pm

Jason (IL) wrote:I am with Eugene, I have priced a building out and found it would only cost me about $5,000 to have a crew put it up. It was a 30 x 45 building total was around $21,000 built. I could not do it myself for that since I would have had to rent some equipment and my time. They said it would take them 4 days, it would have taken me weeks.

My opinion.
Good luck, the bigger the better.

Just hiring a contractor to put it up is out of the question right now. I have access to enough equipment I can get it done myself other than maybe the concrete. The master plan is to eat the project in small bites--get a roof up, then the concrete, then the siding. Plus I guess I want the satisfaction of doing it myself....

Roy47 thanks for the input. I haven't been able to find much online about their reputation but what I have found seems to be positive.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

brichter
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32449
eBay ID: Kinardhippy
Skype Name: Billy.Ray.Richter

Postby brichter » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:58 pm

Al, believe me getting the roof up is not a small bite. get lots of help. I rented a high lift hyster to set the trusses and it worked great.
If you're gonna dream or steal, do it BIG

The best things in life aren't things.
1951 Cub
1963 Corvair
lots more junk

Rodney51Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62995
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub
1950 John Deere A
1949 Farmall Cub
1943 Farmall H
1940 Farmall H
1953 Farmall Super M
1962 Massey Ferguson 65

Postby Rodney51Cub » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:44 am

With those trusses, the one thing to consider is how much bird droppings are you willing to put up with.
If it will be enclosed, not a big deal, but how long before you enclose it is to be considered.
Birds will build a nest at every spot available.

Rodney 8)
USAF 1976 - 1996

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:33 pm

Super A wrote:Just hiring a contractor to put it up is out of the question right now.
Pick up the free advertising fliers at the grocery store. Check out the buildings being offered. One local flier has perhaps more than a dozen offers.

One offer: 30'x40'x10 post framed building. $5349- material only. $7149- labor included. Completely enclosed building on level site. Basically suggesting that if you can afford to have the building shell constructed, labor included, you can finish the interior yourself as time and money permits.

I contacted one of the local advertisers. Went to the office location and looked over several building at the site. Signed a contract containing several additions to the basic 30'x40'x10' building. $8015 including labor.

Next biggest expense was $1200- for concrete. Son and I formed up the floor and leveled the pours.

From materials on hand, son and I installed the electrical panel, wiring, lights, corrugated metal paneling on the interior.

Total price was a tad less than $10,050-, not counting son's and my labor for finishing off the interior.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Projects Forum”