This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

12v to 120v inverters

Tools and Reviews to help your fellow Cubber's.
Forum rules
Unwarranted FLAME reviews will be deleted without notice. Members are encouraged to exhaust all arbitration efforts with the companies before posting negative reviews here.

FarmallCub.Com and the moderators are not responsible for member reviews of businesses and attractions.

Send issues regarding reviews to Cub@farmallcub.com.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

12v to 120v inverters

Postby Eugene » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:20 am

Opinions wanted on inverters. Are they worth while? Handy for farm use? Will they hold up for more than an occasional use?

Researching small generator sets or an inverter to power trimmers, pole saws, hammer drills, saws, etc..

My tractors are all 12v with 62 amp alternators, should be more than sufficient to power an inverter. Still thinking, fuel wise it would be cheaper to use a generator set for prolonged use rather than use one of the tractors.

Perhaps I have answered my questions. But, opinions still wanted.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

RonT
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 34448
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub - Whitington
1972 154 Cub Loboy
1989 Kubota L2050
1948 Willy's CJ-2A
1924 Model T Fordor

Re: 12v to 120v inverters

Postby RonT » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:40 am

Eugene,
I went through the same mental process last year. I was about ready to purchase a 2000 watt inverter and after looking at the primary wire and current draw, changed my mind. If you look at a 10 Amp 120V power tool, the 12V draw is going to be 100 Amps plus inverter parasitic loads. P=I x E 10A x 120V = 1200 Watts = 100A x 12V.
They recommended 6 ga or heavier wiring.
I ended up going with a small 2K inverter generator (Honda clone) from HF. Watch the sale and you can get it for 399.

Side note: I do use a 400 watt inverter in our RV for dry camping. It's sufficient for an LED TV, a CPAP maching and charging cell phones and the coach batteries can go about three days before needing to charge.

My 2 cents.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:53 am

Look at what RonT said from the other side too. The output from a 62 amp 12 volt alternator, when changed to 120 volts is only 6.2 amps. Then knock off some more for the efficiency of the inverter. You can't draw more than that much current except in intermittent use, where the alternator has time to replace the energy drawn out of the battery when the tool runs.

This may be fine, depending on how you will be using the 12 volt power.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:59 am

First off, you did not state what you are wanting to run. A few lights, a 3/8 drill, etc. are all within reason of many of the inverters that a tractor will power. Of course in all cases the tractor will have to be running fast enough for the alternator to keep up. In the case of an air compressor, eve3n a small one, the starting current is much larger than the running current, and the same goes for larger drills, and even some grinders. Look at the running and starting current on what you want to run, then multiply that by 10 which is approximately what the input from the 12 volts will have to provide.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:42 am

Thanks for the input. I had considered the start up power surge. Discovered that I would need a considerably larger inverter than planned. And that the much larger inverter would cost considerably more than a gas powered gen set capable of handling the load.

Getting older and weaker. I have a 4KW gen set that will handle most if not all tasks away from the shop. Problem with the larger gen sets is that they are getting to be a pain for my wife and I to load into a trailer or pickup.

If I can't get the 1.5 KW Homelite gen set inexpensively repaired, will purchase an other set in the 1.5 to 2 KW range. Still looking for a gen set in the 55 to 60 lb. range.

Edit: Fan to repair the Homelite gen set came in this afternoon. Won't be looking for a small gen set until the Homelite dies, forever. Then part it out, set the Tecumseh engine on the shelf.
I have an excuse. CRS.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:00 am

My father-in-law built a small low trailer so he could tow around his 4KW generator with the tractor. It sits about 2" above the ground so it is easy to load and just has a bar that slides through the frame to keep it in the trailer.

Probably would have been easier to lengthen the axle on the generator (so it doesn't tip over) and add a swivel caster. Then add a trailer tongue to the front.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

donnyG
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 05753
Tractors Owned: 1955 International Cub Lo Boy

Postby donnyG » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:12 pm

Inverters are good for low wattage but running power tools for long lengths of time draws power quickly from auto batteries. I use a 2k inverter generator and run 7" grinders and skill saws with no problem. The Honda clones would probably work just fine but big question mark on durability. I have used a 2k Yamaha for 10 years now and it still going strong. It's very good on gas too. They sell for a little more than a grand now so a less expensive brand may fit the bill depending on the duty you put on it.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:50 am

I have 4 generator sets on the acreage, from 1.5 to 10 KW gasoline powered. The 10KW is trailer mounted. The smaller gen sets are loaded into a heavy duty 2 wheeled farm trailer and tractor towed to the work site. In addition to the gen set, work tools and job site debris are loaded into the trailer.

I have a licensed, road ready, smaller trailer with drop down tail gate. Usually used for hauling garden tractors, son uses it to carry tools to and from his place of employment. Also used for moving furniture and anything that won't fit into a pickup bed. This trailer is not as convenient to use as a "farm" trailer, works great for other tasks.

Some of the tools powered by the generator sets are; demolition hammer (jack hammer), cement mixer, table and "skill saws", welders, air compressors, plasma cutter, drills, hammer drills, and anything else I need to move to the work site or use in the shop.

Any way, I am usually working alone or with wife's help. The smaller KW, light weight gen set, I can load by my self. Any thing larger, need help loading.
I have an excuse. CRS.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:40 pm

Eugene wrote:******Any thing larger, need help loading.

Front end loader or Bob Cat, or even engien hoist is handy for that at shop.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:31 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Front end loader or Bob Cat, or even engien hoist is handy for that at shop.
Have Bob Cat with forks and an engine hoist. Easier to drag the generator set to the trailer, then get wife to help load. Takes 15 seconds to load by hand. Take much longer to move the engine hoist or crank up and move the skid steer.

Have several sets of ramps I could use to help/ease the loading. But, again, have to dig out the ramps, haul to trailer, load gen set, put ramps away. More time consuming.
I have an excuse. CRS.

donnyG
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 05753
Tractors Owned: 1955 International Cub Lo Boy

Postby donnyG » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:20 pm

I have a 2KW Yamaha generator and used it to run power tools with no problem. Plus it's great on gas. I use it at my camp now and i also have a 1.5KW inverter linked with rwo deep cycle batteries. i can run lights and radio but no microwave or toaster without it alarming. Generator only weighs 43 lbs so very portable.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:04 pm

Since this topic is up again. Using the repaired 1.5 KW gen set for things like trimming black berries and powering shop lights.

Was preparing to trim black berries and loading up a trailer with the 1.5 KW gen set and son said that his 2015 Chevy Trax has a 120 volt outlet. Just thought it was interesting. Didn't use the Trax. Probably much cheaper to just move the Cub Cadet zero turn with trailer and restart the 1.5 KW as needed.

Still looking at a solar powered system for the shop. Would use the solar powered system for security lighting, battery charging, and occasional night time interior lights.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Indy4570
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 65608
Tractors Owned: 49 F cub, donor
50 Farmall Cub bugeyes(dead)
55 Farmall Cub Clementine
55 International loboy
62 140 Industrial The Beast
50s Allis Chalmers B
50 Ferguson TO20 Huppster
49 Ferguson TE20 Fergie
JD 790 4x4 w/backhoe
hinomoto diesel 4x4, early to mid 80s 20HP
73 Pasquali 4x4 diesel 33HP
74 Toro golf course tractor
Gilson 18HP

Postby Indy4570 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:27 pm

2 benefits to newer inverter gensets, one is cleaner sine wave I think it called for electronics and chargers for cordless tools. another is the jumper cords that allow you to join 2 2kw units to provide 4kws when a 2kw just isn't enough. I like having the 12v cord that comes with the inverter gennys to charge 12v batts too
Circle of Safety
better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...( YES this includes CUBS! )

Pompiere
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 43449
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub
1958 Cub Lo-Boy w/ Woods mower

Postby Pompiere » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:49 pm

Eugene wrote:Since this topic is up again. Using the repaired 1.5 KW gen set for things like trimming black berries and powering shop lights.

Was preparing to trim black berries and loading up a trailer with the 1.5 KW gen set and son said that his 2015 Chevy Trax has a 120 volt outlet. Just thought it was interesting. Didn't use the Trax. Probably much cheaper to just move the Cub Cadet zero turn with trailer and restart the 1.5 KW as needed.

Still looking at a solar powered system for the shop. Would use the solar powered system for security lighting, battery charging, and occasional night time interior lights.

When my son was in scouts, one of the other dads had a new vehicle with an outlet. He joked that we could use it to power a coffee pot for the adults on camping trips. Luckily we looked up the specs first. The outlet was only good for 200 watts, the coffee pot needed over 1000. They are okay to run a TV for tailgate parties or charge your lap top computer, but not for any real power needs. My wife's car has one, but we have never used it.

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:13 pm

Not 100% sure, (I'm still researching) but I think the Wen 2k inverter generator ( pure sine wave) about 4 hundred and change is rumored to be Yamaha..I'm looking for one for my pellet stove..( Tried an 1500 inverter and it killed an interstate marine battery during start-up...)....Dave
In Memory of 58,286

Return to “Tool Talk and Reviews”