This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Handicapped van suggestions

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Handicapped van suggestions

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:20 am

I'm the personal representative for a friend's estate. His adult daughter has been paralyzed from the waist down since she was 18 and needs her 20 yo vehicle replaced. There are side ramps, rear ramps, driver seat transfer boards with wheel chair hoists, etc. She wants the passenger seat to remain for her dog and uses hand controls. Unless she enters from the driver's door, the driver's seat would either need to slide back far enough for her to transfer, or possibly rotate 90* to allow the wheel chair to get close enough. She doesn't want to remain in the wheel chair while driving (even if fastened down). Just wondering if any of you have suggestions from experience on the best type of set up for this situation. It looks like the Toyota Sienna is a popular vehicle to convert. It seems to me that both side and rear ramp options could allow her roll into traffic (rear ramp) or into an adjacent vehicle (side ramp) even with a striped side strip for vans in handicapped parking. Her dad's best friend is going to help, but I'm trying to educate myself before we start looking.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: Handicapped van suggestions

Postby Eugene » Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:24 am

Male neighbor, handicapped from waist down, has a full size bench seat pickup. He enters from the passenger door, then places the folded wheelchair on the passenger side.

Basically, I don't know and have no suggestions. Everything depends on the woman and her physical capabilities.
I have an excuse. CRS.

CharlieK
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40165

Postby CharlieK » Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:59 am

Bob,I'm not familiar with a toyota but I have done a few chevy and ford full size vans (new vans). It does not costs a lot to do and you can do it all yourself. Personally I would look for a fairly new van that has been equipped with handy capped controls. JMMHO
get er done; life is good

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:03 pm

There are several businesses in my area that make (do conversions) handicap accessible vans. Some list new and used vehicles. If ordering new, I'm sure they can be made to meet the desires of the new owner since some will require more "special" controls than others.

If you did buy one from around here, I'll bet I know a guy that would drive it out to you..... 8)

https://www.superiorvan.com/
https://www.mobilityworks.com/
Last edited by ricky racer on Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:12 pm

Some car companies help underwrite the conversion cost on new vehicles. You should factor that into the considerations.
For example: https://www.toyotamobility.com/financial-assistance
(Maybe this helps explain the popularity of the Sienna.)

indy61
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby indy61 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:12 pm

My wife's boss has MS and drives a BraunAbility van, I don't remember which model.

https://www.braunability.com/us/en/mobi ... ldout.html

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub

Postby Steve Butram » Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:25 pm

The Braun Vans are up fitted about 40 miles from here.
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:23 pm

most handi cap vans are built my a independent shop that deals with the conversion company for the handicap parts, I would look for a local in your area, maybe check with local fire/police dept school bus company to see if they have a list of vendors for that

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:53 am

A lot of co-workers with similar needs use this company.
https://www.mobilityworks.com
They have locations around the country including Aurora, CO and have new and used vehicles available. It is important to have a facility near you in case service is required.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:56 am

Thanks for the suggestions. I've scheduled an evaluation on Wednesday with Mobilityworks. We'll look at options and needs. There is even a version that "kneels" to decrease the ramp angle and a sensor that asks an adjacent vehicle to be moved if it is too close for side ramp use.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Return to “Off Topic”