This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Church problems.

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Church problems.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:57 pm

Our church was built 45 years ago, mostly with volunteer labor by church members. Some was done by contractors, but none of the current members know who. We discovered this week that the trusses used for the roof and vaulted ceiling are coming apart to the point the contractors that have looked at it believe it is unsafe to meet in. Our income is less than our weekly expenses, and preliminary estimates are that it will take around 2/3 of our bank account to repair the building, which at the current donation rate will only leave us able to meet another 5 or 6 years. We are in a quandary as to what to do .Repair it and go on as long as we can, or put it up for sale and transport our members to another Church of Christ each Sunday in a van. I would appreciate your prayers and thoughts.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

T-Mo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63628
Tractors Owned: '40 H
'44 B
'47 Cub
'49 C
54A Blade
42 Woods Mower
Henderson Loader
Cultivators
No. 8 Little Genius 2-12 Plow
IH Running Gear
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Church problems.

Postby T-Mo » Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:59 am

Yikes. Is it possible the church can obtain a loan to do the repairs? Decades ago, the church we were attending got a loan from Unico Bank to build a new building next to the old church building. I know that will require the church to endure a monthly bill, but that may be a solution.

Don B.
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 25314
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub (looks pretty)
1951 Cub (does the work)
1952 Cub (sold)

Postby Don B. » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:16 am

Very sorry to hear about this. I mean no offense but to your contractors, but I think it would be worth the money to get a structural engineer to look at it and discuss your options (if you haven't already). He may see an repair approach that the contractors didn't.
Good luck with this.
Circle of Safety

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:29 am

Prayer has been lifted up.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:01 am

John, that's sad to hear. You've got two problems, the lack of income and an unsafe building. The first one that needs to be addressed is the building. Selling the building does not seem to be the answer in my opinion since you will need to nearly give it away as an unsafe building.
I'd suggest you appeal to the community and see if a local contractor might step in to help. Not that you're looking for a free fix but possibly a discounted cost. Often times you will find a contractor that may do the repairs for cost.
The next issue is your church will need to increase its giving and try to grow the church. Growing a church these days is difficult since so many have fallen away from the faith but Gods Word never promised it would be easy but it's our responsibility to do. I'm guessing you've got an older church population with not many younger families? If so, that equates to a dying church and will need to be addressed or all of this won't really matter.
I think a lot of prayer is needed along with a plan on how to bring more families into the church not only for the benefit of the church but for the families as well. I'll keep you and your church in my prayers.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:05 am

What ever solution the congregation decides is going to be an expense.

Thought. Rent or use another building for services. Years back the Catholic church allowed another denomination to use their building for services while the other building was being repaired. Services were scheduled for different times. Also when in the military, some posts only had one church. All denominations use the same building.
I have an excuse. CRS.

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:04 am

check with the insurance company, you may be surprised what they cover

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:39 pm

obtaining a loan is not an option since our income is lower than our expenses. We have tried repeatedly to increase membership, but in a 5 mile circle around the tow of Potosi, and anyone that is interested in church is attending one..We had a pretty good size congregation several years go, but tihin the period of a year many of them were transferred out due to work, or retired and moved back home. We are left with only 3 families that can afford to give anything and another 3 that are barely getting by.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

T-Mo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63628
Tractors Owned: '40 H
'44 B
'47 Cub
'49 C
54A Blade
42 Woods Mower
Henderson Loader
Cultivators
No. 8 Little Genius 2-12 Plow
IH Running Gear

Postby T-Mo » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:24 am

I know the past year and half, especially last year, a lot of churches were closed down due to Covid. Our church did live Facebook for the whole month of April last year, and then we kept the live Facebook going since then. But income was down a bit. In our area, John's and mine, you can't throw a rock without hitting a church, so it's hard to increase a congregation without pouching (one pastor described it as "fishing in someone else's pond) another church.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:20 am

A couple small churches around here are facing the same problem with membership. The young ones could care less about church or us old people now days.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:32 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Transport members to another Church of Christ each Sunday in a van.
Perhaps doable. Church vans cost money.

Next thought. Hold services at member's homes on a rotating basis. Atleast for a while, until the church members see how things go.
I have an excuse. CRS.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:24 am

Sounds like it is time to consolidate. Merge two congregations to create one larger group.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

john2189
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44657

Postby john2189 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:33 am

Repair it and have one or more fund raisers to help pay for it. You’d be surprised how much you can raise with fund raisers. You could have a spaghetti dinner. Many local grocery stores will donate or discount supplies. How about a gofundme page on Facebook?
'49 Cub (Vince)
'41 allis B with Woods L59 mower
656 Wheel Horse with 42” sickle mower
C-165 Wheel Horse
Simplicity 20 HP Sunstar
Honda 48” walk behind mower

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:18 pm

I think your options are to merge with another church, schedule your services at an available time in another church, or go with one of the other options for meeting elsewhere. Even if a fund raiser got enough money for the entire repair (which is unlikely), It would only extend your finances for another 10 or 12 years beyond your worst case projection. Even that assumes you don't loose one of your "3 families that can afford to give anything".

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:47 pm

John,

Just some thoughts on what we experienced in our church. Yes, attendance was larger than yours, however, we generated enough to pay off a $130,000 mortgage in just two or three months, without affecting weekly giving.

We challenged members to convert unused assets into cash, a few examples:
- a small crawler tractor that had been setting in a fencerow for years
- a unique pencil collection - really
- an unneeded life insurance policy cashed out to the church
- selling used clothing patterns on ebay (yes, there is a market for them)
- selling unused road worthy vehicles
- others that I don't remember at this time

We were amazed at how much "stuff" we had, that we weren't using, that could be converted to cash then given to the church. There are people out there that will give good (sometimes, really good) money for our "stuff." There were three or four families (no names given, just the amount) that pushed donations approaching $10,000 really hard. Our congregation was happy and excited to do this -- lots of smiling faces and high fives.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Return to “Off Topic”