This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hydraulic Spool Valve Repair

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Hydraulic Spool Valve Repair

Postby Eugene » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:07 pm

Need thoughts, suggestions.

Back ground. Bob Cat 610 hydraulic control spool valve is worn and galled where one of the O rings rubs. Has an estimated .002" wear in one area. Spool valve is no longer available. Complete control valve and other solutions cost as much as we paid for the skid steer.

Son thinks he can silver solder the worn area, then smooth back to the nominal dimension.

My thought is to chuck up the spool valve in the drill press/miller and smooth up the wear area. Then Speedi-Sleeve the wear area.

The spool valve has a linear action, not rotating. Will the Speedi-Sleeve work in this application.

Or is silver solder a better solution?
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Re: Hydraulic Spool Valve Repair

Postby tst » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:59 pm

speedi sleeve if you can use it would be good, the stainless sleeve should hold up , if its steel I have welded them up and turned them in the lathe

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:35 pm

I would not silver solder the spool. Spools are heat treated and the silver solder would require the spool to be heated up to the point that it will loose temper. If the speedy sleeve doesn't work out, check with a local machine shop to see if it can be spray welded or chromed to fill the wear and then ground to size. A lot of times local machine shops will do work for individuals at a reduced price since they make their money from industry. You may have to take it to several before you find one that will help you out at a reasonable cost.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:25 pm

Silver solder wouldn't "stick" to the spool valve. Lots of research and numerous different tries.

Finally chucked the spool valve in the drill press/miller and polished it. Seems to be working, so far no leak.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Off Topic”