This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Caution when using Muratic acid

Have a safety tip you want to share? Did you or a friend learn it the hard way? Help someone else by posting your tips on tractor, farm, shop, lawn, garden, kitchen, etc., safety.
Forum rules
Safety is an important and often overlooked topic. Make safety a part of your everyday life and let others know how much you care by making their lives safer too. Let the next generation of tractor enthusiasts benefit from your experience, and maybe save a life or appendages.
Bezirk
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 22843
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub 1949, Oliver OC3 crawler 1951, Ford 8 N 1948, Oliver 77 Row Crop 1953, JohnDeere, La, 1941, John Deere 4115/w loader, 2004, John Deere stationary power unit LUC, Farmall M, 1946, Oliver 77 Row crop w/ loader
Circle of Safety: Y

Caution when using Muratic acid

Postby Bezirk » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:17 pm

Early in the winter I used Muratic acid to clean the gas tank for the Oliver 77 . I placed the tank in my woodworkig shop and let it set for several days some of the time cap off tank and some cap on. ALL of the tools in my shop have rusted the shop is about 20' x 15' and the tank was on a work bench in the center, so be advised even power tools covered in heavy plastic have rusted. I will never use that chemical again.

Berlin
I started out with nothing and now I only have half of that left !

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Re: Caution when using Muratic acid

Postby Super A » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:06 pm

Must've been something else, especially if covered tools rusted. Muriatic acid in my experience isn't that potent. There's nothing I've found more effective and simple for cleaning tanks.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Bezirk
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 22843
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub 1949, Oliver OC3 crawler 1951, Ford 8 N 1948, Oliver 77 Row Crop 1953, JohnDeere, La, 1941, John Deere 4115/w loader, 2004, John Deere stationary power unit LUC, Farmall M, 1946, Oliver 77 Row crop w/ loader

Postby Bezirk » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:38 pm

It is a very strange concoincidence that the woodshop has been the same for over 30 years and the rusting of the tools occurred immediately after using the muratic acid.

Berlin
I started out with nothing and now I only have half of that left !

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:51 pm

Bezirk wrote:It is a very strange concoincidence that the woodshop has been the same for over 30 years and the rusting of the tools occurred immediately after using the muratic acid.

Berlin

Agree. But I still don't think the muriatic acid did it because the tools you had covered up rusted as well. Been wrong before though. Did you use it full strength or dilute it?

Al

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:39 pm

I put a closed container in my metal cabinet that I use for paint and the next time I opened the door the inside was covered with rust. I diluted it and got rid of it rather than double-bagging it.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:57 pm

bob in CT wrote:I put a closed container in my metal cabinet that I use for paint and the next time I opened the door the inside was covered with rust. I diluted it and got rid of it rather than double-bagging it.

Well there you go.....would not have thought the fumes would be so volatile.

Al

Rabbit Holler Flash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Rabbit Holler Flash » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:17 pm

Used it one year to clean swimming pool b4 summer opening. Mixed 1gal to 4gal water on a in ground cement pond. Ran short of acid in gal jugs, owner of pool picked up another 20 gal. This came in a 20 gal container from different source than the gal jugs we emptied. Down in the pool bottom, when we popped the top on that container the air disappeared replaced with a yellowish haze. Had to put container up on pool ledge to mix it. At the 1 to 4 mix we were using it would soften the soles of your tennis shoes if you walked in it before hosing it down . Local plumbing supplier told me sounded like we got ahold of container of manufacturing grade acid ment to be diluted before sale. Not by us "pool boys" He told us a 3% grade was strong as he sold to the public. Never found out what it started out as the label was destroyed by the acid. But man would it clean a pool. :D

torchred89
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20164
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall cub

Postby torchred89 » Mon May 09, 2016 5:37 pm

I cleaned my pool with muriatic acid. I put it in a sprayer and sprayed the walls. In the deep end the smell would knock you out. I bought a brush with a long wooden handle. Where the brush screwed into the handle it was metal it lasted about 5 minutes before it ate the metal up and the brush fell off.

leerenovations
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74857
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick Farmall Cub (Farmalice), 1949 Ford 8N (Red), Unidentified horse drawn road grader with 8 ft moldboard.

Postby leerenovations » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:32 pm

All muriatic acid is hydrochloric acid. That's the same acid that dissolves the food in your stomach and the can completely disslolve metal. If you get on youtube there is a good video if a semi tanker with a acid leak out of an aluminum tanker. After a few minutes, the tanker completely blows due to a run away chain reaction. The reall cause is that the acid was put in a unlined tanker trailer that wasn't designed for the acid. they showed us the video when I went through my Hazmat operation and Technician classes for the fire dept. Nasty stuff
Tractors are like watermelons: the RED is good and you throw away the GREEN.