This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

The Sun!

Have a safety tip you want to share? Did you or a friend learn it the hard way? Help someone else by posting your tips on tractor, farm, shop, lawn, garden, kitchen, etc., safety.
Forum rules
Safety is an important and often overlooked topic. Make safety a part of your everyday life and let others know how much you care by making their lives safer too. Let the next generation of tractor enthusiasts benefit from your experience, and maybe save a life or appendages.
Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

The Sun!

Postby Super A » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:15 pm

Today the weather was SPECTACULAR. In the low 70's, breezy but nice. I been outside all day. :D It got me to thinking about a couple of pertinent safety thoughts, so here goes:

Just before Christmas, I went to my Dr. for my regular 6 mo. checkup. I'm 36, a bit too fat, and I fight high BP and GERD so I get regular checkups. While there, he noticed a big mole on my belly. It's been there forever, and to tell the truth, it was big enough I have kept an eye on it for a long time. Now my MD is good but I am a usually quick, in and out patient and to tell the truth, he kinda mumbles. Unless he mumbles "OH MY...." or "You're dying...." I don't sweat it. But I understood him perfectly when he said "You need to have that biopsied." Now I am scared to death of anything that requires a biopsy. Fortunately cancer does not run in my family, but the stuff is scary. So they got me an appointment with the dermatologist, and off I went about the middle of January. The dermatologist, a very nice man with an outstanding reputation, looked at it and said he >>thought<< it was ok, but just for my own peace of mind, let's take it off. Peace of mind sounded good to me and he assured me there would be anasthesia involved. 8) So back I went 2 days later and his very nice PA cut that little nevus (I didn't know that was the medical term for "mole") off. It came back "normal," however the PA told me that if it had ever started to "change," it would almost certainly become melanoma. Fortunately she got it all, checked me out closely again, and did find a couple more she's gonna keep an eye on.

The only real hard-core exposure to the sun I have ever gotten was three years at FFA Camp during my high school years. Didn't wear a lot of sunblock, stayed in the lake most of the time (that's where the girls were :mrgreen: ) and thought I was invincible. Guess that's what almost did me in.

My parents have been seeing this same dermatologist for several years. They've both had several things cut/froze off, and thankfully everything's been ok for them too. From my dad's experience I almost always wear a wide brim hat outside, have for a long time. I only wear my IH cap when I am gonna be mostly indoors. I also rarely wear shorts. My only thing is I don't wear sleeves but I'm gonna start slathering the sunblock on my arms this year.

So, as cool as IH caps are, protect your skin when you're outside at a Cubfest, getting seat-time, or whatever. Don't forget the sunblock. Especially if you're young. It WILL catch up with you! :big afro:

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: The Sun!

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:57 pm

Good advice, Al.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Return to “Safety Forum”