This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Brand new source for steering box components!

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bbading1989
Zip Code: 46038

Brand new source for steering box components!

Postby Bbading1989 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:18 am

It seems like this forum is dead but after tackling the front trailer hub tapered bearing project I moved on to the steering.

My 184 steering box is in horrible shape, the pitman arm shaft has significant up/down play meaning the cast aluminum box is toast and the shaft is shot. I have not pulled it out of the tractor yet but I have another spare box that I'm test fitting to "new" parts too. Now onto the great news....

The ih 154/185/185 boxes are very similar (maybe internally identical) to the original Willie's jeep. If your Pitman arm shaft is shot you can search online for a 7/8" Ross jeep rebuild kit. This kit comes with the shaft, oil seal, steering shaft bearing/ races and two bronze bushings. The gaskets are specifically for a jeep so those are of no use.

If your cast aluminum box like mine is wallowed out by lack of maintenance you can bore out the bearing surface of the casting press in the bronze bushings to add a new bearing surface.

The steering shaft bearings for the jeep include one extra ball but they don't have the plastic ball spacers so I think the extra ball take up the slack.

If your steering shaft with the worm screw is worn out it appears a jeep steering wheel shaft will work (must be from a jeep that used the 7/8 pitman arm shaft) as long as you get creative on shortening the shaft and making the taper for mounting the steering wheel.

NOTE: THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF JEEP STEERING INTERNALS 7/8 AND 15/16. YOU MUST USE PARTS COMPATIBLE WITH THE 7/8" SHAFT. THE 15/16 IS LARGER AND THE PINS THAT RIDE IN THE WORM GEAR HAVE A LARGER SPACING!

Duner
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Re: Brand new source for steering box components!

Postby Duner » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:01 pm

Thank you for the info. This could be very beneficial in the future. Steering is pretty good right now.

Bbading1989
Zip Code: 46038

Postby Bbading1989 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:56 am

Duner wrote:Thank you for the info. This could be very beneficial in the future. Steering is pretty good right now.

For some reason the box off my 155 is in perfect shape yet the box on my 184 is completely wrecked. I'm thinking maybe the 184 one was never greased

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:47 am

I just tossed a 55 Jeep box. But I purchased a good used box from Hamilton bobs cubs to have an extra sitting here. I have three 154’s.i probably have a 154 in parts on shelves.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.