This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Zenith Carb Intermittantly Running Lean

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
tucker86
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: International 184 w/ Woods 59LB Mower

Zenith Carb Intermittantly Running Lean

Postby tucker86 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:07 am

As I have been running my 184 this fall, I have noticed three or four times now where I need to run with the carburetor partially choked. What is interesting is one week it runs perfectly fine and the next I will notice this issue. Outside temperature does not seem to a contributor to this condition as it has occurred when the temperature is up around 70F and also when around 40F. I tried playing around with the adjustment screw on the back side of the carburetor, but it did not make any difference with this issue and I set it back to the original settings. Since I have been running Seafoam through the fuel system, I was wondering if this might be caused by dirt in the carburetor? Thoughts?
1977 International 184
Woods LB59 Mower

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Zenith Carb Intermittantly Running Lean

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:01 pm

I'd check to make sure the sediment bowl screen, the carb inlet screen, and the main jet were all clean and free of debris.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Larry B
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 45325
Tractors Owned: IH 184

Postby Larry B » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:59 pm

If your carb is like mine the high speed jet is fixed. It is on the side near the bottom. A 1/2" wrench fits it. If you take it out and clean it fuel should flow out of the carb in a steady stream. If a fuel filter has been installed try removing it and see if that fixes it.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:30 am

Hi,
Below is some info for cleaning the main jet on a Zenith carb.

Clean the outside of the carb well before taking it apart, if it is dirty, that keeps some of the dirt out of it.

The main jet is number 20 in the parts pic, it screws out of the carb. You need a screwdriver that fits it well, they have said on here to grind one to fit, if you don't have one.
The main jet is under the plug, number 18 in the pic.

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... 012-14.jpg

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... 012-15.jpg

The manual pages are from the Cub parts manual, I think the carb is basically the same.

Wash out the main jet, and where it goes in the carb, a member on here has said they often are dirty there.

There is a screen in the original fitting at the gas inlet on the Cub, if the 184 has the style fitting in the pic below, it may have a screen too. The screen has to be clean so the gas will flow.

I don't see a 184 parts manual in Rudi's manuals at the top of the page.

Below is a pic from TM Tractor of a Zenith carb for a Cub, showing where the cover is. :)

If any of this info look wrong, write a post saying.
Attachments
Cub carb Z.jpg
Cub carb Z.jpg (25.62 KiB) Viewed 1151 times

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:00 am

Since it seems intermittent, I'd be checking the fuel tank vent (gas cap). Next time it happens, see if the issue is resolved by opening and re-sealing the gas cap. You may have a vacuum forming in the gas tank due to a plugged vent.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

tucker86

Postby tucker86 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:27 pm

Glen, great information. I'll look into your suggestions when I get some free time.

outdoors4evr wrote:Since it seems intermittent, I'd be checking the fuel tank vent (gas cap). Next time it happens, see if the issue is resolved by opening and re-sealing the gas cap. You may have a vacuum forming in the gas tank due to a plugged vent.

outdoors4ever, I have inadvertently tried your suggestion. When this originally started happening I was thinking that I may have been running out of fuel and opened the gas cap to check. This seemed to have no effect, so it seems that is more likely an issue with dirt.
1977 International 184
Woods LB59 Mower

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:30 pm

Follow Bob’s suggestions.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:21 am

When I first got my 1st 154 home while mowing it would stall then a few minutes later fire up and finish mowing. As I continued to run it. It got worse finally it wouldn’t restart, I took the fuel line off no gas was flowing. I took off the gas cap and blew as hard as I could in the hose with the valve open. I heard a loud pop in the gas tank and fuel started flowing.

There was squirrel nuts in my gas tank, acorns.

On a dirtbike it would bog under a load. I found a little pebble in the main jet blocking the flow.

Pull the jet plug and look for a “alien” object. Check above the needle and seat for a pebble too. Installing a fuel filter in the line solves dirt problems.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

tucker86

Postby tucker86 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:28 am

I cleaned the sediment bowl yesterday and did find a fair bit of debris in the bottom. The sediment bowl screen looked good.

One thing I did notice was when I opened up the sediment bowl valve after re-installation, the bowl refilled slowly even with the valve wide open. It took several turns before any fuel at all began flowing. It was getting late at this point and I wanted to park the tractor for the winter so I did not investigate further, but I am thinking there might be some debris slowing flow through the sediment bulb valve. I am thinking in the spring I will pull the tank and disassemble that valve as well as install an inline fuel filter. I could use the tank out anyway to look into the wiring at the switch for the lights.
1977 International 184
Woods LB59 Mower

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:39 am

tucker86 wrote:. . . I am thinking there might be some debris slowing flow through the sediment bulb valve. . . .

You may very well be onto something there. Sometimes trash can move around and only cause a problem part of the time, which could explain the intermittent nature of your problem.

However, I have also seen sediment bowls that were slow to fill because of an air lock. Temporarily loosening the nut that holds the bowl and allowing air to escape at the bowl gasket lets them fill quickly.

A/C guy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17350

Postby A/C guy » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:59 pm

I had trouble with mine (don't think it is the Zenith). Opened it up and found the high speed metering jet had backed out a turn or so. Used a drop of blue locktite and reseated it. It's been good ever since.

tucker86

Postby tucker86 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:42 pm

I'm working on getting the 184 ready for the mowing season and I rebuilt the carburetor today. I did not notice anything visibly wrong with it during disassembly other than the fuel pickup tube had a small amount of crystallization on it. After I got it back together I noticed the air intake end appears to not be sealing with the new gasket. I can see light passing between the fuel bowl and throttle halves on this end. I believe I read somewhere that Zenith added an a 5th screw for this issue on newer Series 68 carburetors.

I was wondering if others have noticed this and what has been done to seal this air leak? Silicone sealant?
1977 International 184
Woods LB59 Mower

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Postby SamsFarm » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:21 pm

tucker86 wrote:I'm working on getting the 184 ready for the mowing season and I rebuilt the carburetor today. I did not notice anything visibly wrong with it during disassembly other than the fuel pickup tube had a small amount of crystallization on it. After I got it back together I noticed the air intake end appears to not be sealing with the new gasket. I can see light passing between the fuel bowl and throttle halves on this end.

Sounds like something is hitting preventing the halves to close completely!

Did you change anything that might be a different length or thickness?
1968 Cub Fast-Hitch

tucker86

Postby tucker86 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:12 pm

SamsFarm wrote:
tucker86 wrote:I'm working on getting the 184 ready for the mowing season and I rebuilt the carburetor today. I did not notice anything visibly wrong with it during disassembly other than the fuel pickup tube had a small amount of crystallization on it. After I got it back together I noticed the air intake end appears to not be sealing with the new gasket. I can see light passing between the fuel bowl and throttle halves on this end.

Sounds like something is hitting preventing the halves to close completely!

Did you change anything that might be a different length or thickness?

I have been busy this past week and I am just getting back to this now. Below is a picture of what I am seeing. The seal around the fuel bowl area looks good and tight, but not on the air intake end. I was considering trying some silicone sealant on this end, but I wanted to see if anybody on the forum has seen this before. I wouldn't be surprised if the heavy layer of grease I cleaned from it was helping seal this end before the rebuild.

1977 International 184
Woods LB59 Mower

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Postby SamsFarm » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:19 pm

Looks like it might be warped.

Take it apart and check it with a good straight edge.

Something like a 12 inch steel scale!
1968 Cub Fast-Hitch

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”