This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Clutch bushing twisted

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jhvanriper
Zip Code: 45202

Clutch bushing twisted

Postby jhvanriper » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:34 pm

Cub 152
The clutch will not come out of gear.

I see there is a bushing between the clutch release forks that seems to be twisted. It looks like I can remove it with two cottar pins. Is there any thing else I need to do to twist it back to the correct position?

https://imgur.com/a/JFO3gjT

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Re: Clutch bushing twisted

Postby BigBill » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:06 am

Looks like the throwout bearing housing turned in the release lever. Is the throwout bearing free turning or is it locking up. ,
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:42 am

As BigBill states, the throwout bearing retainer is turned the the bracket. But, I don't think that is your big problem.

Remove the sheet metal panel that's between the operator's feet. Depress the clutch pedal. See if the throw out bearing retainer moves and pressure plate fingers depress.

Appears that the pressure plate and the pressure plate fingers are very rusty. My guess, clutch disc is frozen the the pressure plate and clutch flywheel. Also the pressure plate fingers may be rusted solid.
I have an excuse. CRS.

jhvanriper
Zip Code: 45202

Postby jhvanriper » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:55 am

Tree fell on the path I was driving on and I tried to push through the brush to get around it and it all locked up. The clutch is definitely older but it worked fine till I tired bushwhacking (It looks like I also bent the steering connector bar as it has a nice S shape now. Gonna just straighten it the best I can.). The clutch pedal moves the clutch release but not enough due to the twisted bushing. I am guessing I just need to twist it back if it is not broken. Waiting on some new cottar pins from Amazon now before I go back to the farm.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:12 am

Twist it back. Most likely, this was allowed to twist because the forks are spread wider than they should or are showing some wear.
Remove the clutch fork and inspect. I'm guessing that there is some wear on the clutch forks (each fork should be rectangular like the end all the way down the fork).
Weld a glob of metal onto any worn spots and grind them back into shape.

Next, make sure that the forks fit fairly snugly around the throwout bearing carrier. There shouldn't be a gap between the forks and the carrier. Squeeze the forks in a vise until they fit snug.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Duner
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Duner » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:46 am

jhvanriper said"I also bent the steering connector bar."
On my 154 PO added a piece of angel iron to drag link for strength. I removed the angle iron and pressed drag link thru a piece of pipe.
No welding required as it is a press fit. I did the same for tie rods so it matches looks of drag link.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”