This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

154 Diverter Valves and Snap Couplers

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

154 Diverter Valves and Snap Couplers

Postby Eugene » Tue May 05, 2020 10:09 pm

Posting photos because it's to early to go to bed. Couple of photos appearing as a working tractor should, neat and clean.

My 154 with hydraulic snap couplers on the right side of the dash. Think the tractor was use as a government mower tractor.
https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5ED71321

Dual diverter valves, front one controls the mid tractor hydraulic cylinder. Rear one controls the 3 point.
https://scontent-dfw5-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5ED6FAE9

Side view of the two diverter valves.
https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5ED80332
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Re: 154 Diverter Valves and Snap Couplers

Postby outdoors4evr » Wed May 06, 2020 6:05 am

The hydraulic couplers are very cool. Have any pictures of the plumbing to the couplers?
Would you please describe how it functions? - Connect the hoses, set both diverter valves a certain way, pull hydraulic handle to start the flow?
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Wed May 06, 2020 7:43 am

outdoors4evr wrote:The hydraulic couplers are very cool. Have any pictures of the plumbing to the couplers?
Would you please describe how it functions? - Connect the hoses, set both diverter valves a certain way, pull hydraulic handle to start the flow?
Have never used the snap couplers. Haven't checked and don't know how they are plumbed into the hydraulic system or how the diverter valves control them.

Lost a pin in the clutch linkage Saturday. Fixed it and mowed. Mowing Sunday, the linkage to the clutch pressure plate brake broke. Son was in the shop Tuesday as I was about to install the sheet metal and had him take photos of the diverter valves and snap couplers.

The left front balloon tire and rim weighs about 60 or 70 lbs. It's filled with something, solid as a rock, not fluid, and the only weighted tire on the tractor.
I have an excuse. CRS.

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Wed May 06, 2020 9:14 am

I'm wondering if it had a mid-mounted, ditch/bank, sickle mower on it at one point, and the couplers were used to raise/lower the bar on the mower??? Looks like the couplers are on the right side of the tractor. I'm not sure, and I've never seen one in person, but there had to be a second hydraulic setup so you could raise/lower the bar as you were mowing ditches/banks/etc. These are REALLY rare, and I'd bet that 90% were sold to municipalities. I think the mower attachment was as much or more cost than the tractor itself was. Also, if the tires are loaded, it could support the idea that it was in service mowing ditches/banks, and they had the tires loaded for ballast. Just some thoughts, but very cool regardless!
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Wed May 06, 2020 12:08 pm

gitractorman wrote:I'm wondering if it had a mid-mounted, ditch/bank, sickle mower on it at one point, and the couplers were used to raise/lower the bar on the mower??? Looks like the couplers are on the right side of the tractor. I'm not sure, and I've never seen one in person, but there had to be a second hydraulic setup so you could raise/lower the bar as you were mowing ditches/banks/etc. These are REALLY rare, and I'd bet that 90% were sold to municipalities. I think the mower attachment was as much or more cost than the tractor itself was. Also, if the tires are loaded, it could support the idea that it was in service mowing ditches/banks, and they had the tires loaded for ballast. Just some thoughts, but very cool regardless!
Hydraulic coupler set up is located on the right side.

All tires on the tractor appear to be the same age, same manufacturer. I don't know why only the left front tire is loaded, but also assume a municipal mower tractor.

The current mower deck is a 3260 and appears to be the same age as the tractor.

REALLY RARE tractor. That just increased it's by $2000-. THANKS.

I asked, the previous owner didn't know the history of the tractor.
I have an excuse. CRS.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Wed May 06, 2020 2:01 pm

Documenting this would be a great way for a numbered series owner to add a remote to their tractor.
- Maybe to run a blade angle cylinder or another hydraulic powered implement.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Wed May 06, 2020 5:05 pm

outdoors4evr wrote:Documenting this would be a great way for a numbered series owner to add a remote to their tractor.
- Maybe to run a blade angle cylinder or another hydraulic powered implement.
Next time I have to remove the diverter panel I will try to determine the plumbing routing for the snap couplers and get photos of the diverter valve set up.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”