This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

184 overcharging battery

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Larry B
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 45325
Tractors Owned: IH 184

Re: 184 overcharging battery

Postby Larry B » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:41 pm

Odd? The schematic only shows 3 wires going to the alternator. Your pic appears to have 4. And a red wire is not connected. Before swapping out the alternator i would get the wiring back to stock. Unfix what a backyard mechanic thought was better than what the IH engineers designed. After that troubleshoot the charging issue . Link to 184 manual
http://manuals.mtdproducts.com/mtd/Publ ... doSearch=Y

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

hoythunter25
Zip Code: 48623

Postby hoythunter25 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:19 pm

tst wrote:I see now that the red wire is pulled out of the spade connector at the resistor, fix that 1st and retest

There is a wire connected to each side of the regulator, is the red one supposed to be paired up with one of those?
20200421_171953_resize_39.jpg

hoythunter25

Postby hoythunter25 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:26 pm

Larry B wrote:Odd? The schematic only shows 3 wires going to the alternator. Your pic appears to have 4. And a red wire is not connected. Before swapping out the alternator i would get the wiring back to stock. Unfix what a backyard mechanic thought was better than what the IH engineers designed. After that troubleshoot the charging issue . Link to 184 manual

Is there multiple systems that were used? Where is the regulator in the diagram you posted? This is the one I had found previously....
184 Wiring.pdf
(337.26 KiB) Downloaded 422 times

hoythunter25

Postby hoythunter25 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:28 pm

Eugene wrote:I would purchase a remanufactured alternator with 1 year warranty.

I was going to replace the regulator in an alternator years ago. The regulator cost about the same as a remanufactured alternator.

The alternator pictured is very old, diodes mounted in the case, and with what I think is an external regulator.

Am I understanding you correctly that there is a newer version of alternator that I can use that has an internal regulator?

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:42 pm

That alternator has a built-in regulator. I'm not convinced the red dangling wire has anything to do with the charging system or your problem with it. It may just happen to be nearby.

Make sure you have a good clean connection where the green wire plugs into the alternator. Then add a temporary jumper from your top alternator connection (where the rubber boot is) to the green wire. See if that brings your alternator output down to a normal voltage. If so, you have a wiring problem. If not, you have an alternator (regulator) problem.

hoythunter25

Postby hoythunter25 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:08 am

Jim Becker wrote:That alternator has a built-in regulator. I'm not convinced the red dangling wire has anything to do with the charging system or your problem with it. It may just happen to be nearby.

Make sure you have a good clean connection where the green wire plugs into the alternator. Then add a temporary jumper from your top alternator connection (where the rubber boot is) to the green wire. See if that brings your alternator output down to a normal voltage. If so, you have a wiring problem. If not, you have an alternator (regulator) problem.

I will try this. Do I leave the green/plug connected while the jumper is in place or do I take the plug off while trying this?

hoythunter25

Postby hoythunter25 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:11 am

Jim Becker wrote:That alternator has a built-in regulator. I'm not convinced the red dangling wire has anything to do with the charging system or your problem with it. It may just happen to be nearby.

If it has a built in regulator do I not need the white regulator on the outside?

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:18 am

that is not a regulator, it is a ballast resistor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:44 am

tst wrote:that is not a regulator, it is a ballast resistor
You need the resistor. It's used to disconnect the alternator from the ignition system. It keeps the alternator from back feeding the ignition coil, letting you shut off the engine with the ignition switch.

Second photo provides a much clearer view of the alternator and wiring.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Larry B
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Larry B » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:04 pm

hoythunter25 wrote:
Larry B wrote:Odd? The schematic only shows 3 wires going to the alternator. Your pic appears to have 4. And a red wire is not connected. Before swapping out the alternator i would get the wiring back to stock. Unfix what a backyard mechanic thought was better than what the IH engineers designed. After that troubleshoot the charging issue . Link to 184 manual

Is there multiple systems that were used? Where is the regulator in the diagram you posted? This is the one I had found previously....184 Wiring.pdf

That schematic is the same as the one in the link i sent. Just looks a little dufferent. That alternator is a standard Delcotron 10SI. It has an internal regulator. Using the schematic make sure the wires on the alternator terminate at the right place at the other ends. If the wiring is correct and it puts out 19v at the big terminal the alternator is faulty.

hoythunter25

Postby hoythunter25 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:37 pm

That schematic is the same as the one in the link i sent. Just looks a little dufferent. That alternator is a standard Delcotron 10SI. It has an internal regulator. Using the schematic make sure the wires on the alternator terminate at the right place at the other ends. If the wiring is correct and it puts out 19v at the big terminal the alternator is faulty.[/quote]

The schematic is not the same, the one I posted shows four wires on the alternator as opposed to three like you mentioned on the one you posted.

hoythunter25

Postby hoythunter25 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:43 pm

When doing the jumper technique do I leave the green wire/plug hooked up? Sorry I just dont want to screw something up and get the wrong result....

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:03 pm

hoythunter25 wrote:When doing the jumper technique do I leave the green wire/plug hooked up? Sorry I just dont want to screw something up and get the wrong result....

You can leave it connected.

Larry B
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Larry B » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:32 pm

hoythunter25 wrote:That schematic is the same as the one in the link i sent. Just looks a little dufferent. That alternator is a standard Delcotron 10SI. It has an internal regulator. Using the schematic make sure the wires on the alternator terminate at the right place at the other ends. If the wiring is correct and it puts out 19v at the big terminal the alternator is faulty.

The schematic is not the same, the one I posted shows four wires on the alternator as opposed to three like you mentioned on the one you posted.[/quote]

It is the same schematic. The one you linked to shows the exciter resistor on the alternator. There are still 3 wires connected to the alternator. The zigzag in The schematic is the exciter resistor on the back of the alternator.

hoythunter25

Postby hoythunter25 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:30 am

I tried the jumper technique and I was still getting 19v so I removed the alternator and headed to the auto parts store. They tested it and it shut the machine down two times so they said it was bad. They found an alternator that was the same but the orientation of the housing was slightly different. I mounted it up and the orientation difference was fine. I started the tractor and now the volt meter reads 14.79v when running. Success! Thanks everyone!

I am still having the issue of the key not turning the tractor off. Does anyone have any insight what to try in that regard?

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”