This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

184 won't start

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 184 won't start

Postby Eugene » Wed May 06, 2020 3:35 pm

Soak the valve stems through the valve springs as well under the valve head with solvent. Crank the engine over several times. Now take a thin sheet of metal, cut strip from soda can. Place between a tappet and the end of the valve stem. Hand crank the engine over, spray the valve stem, crank over again. This will raise the valve another .002" and possibly put more solvent in the valve guide.

Hold off a bit on removing the engine head. Removing the head and grinding the valves and seats is a bit more complicated than stated in you above post.

After getting the head off you will need a valve spring compressor to remove the valve spring keepers to get the valves out.

The paste and suction cup if for lapping the valve and seat together. That's a perhaps. You will probably need the valves and seats professionally ground. If you are going to do 4 valves, might as well do the other 4.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Hipo giddyup
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Hipo giddyup » Fri May 22, 2020 1:47 pm

Sorry its been so long but I've been tied up with multiple projects.I followed the advice above using small strips of a soda can. I did this several times and let the valves soak a few days in between. I still got the same results with a compression test, around 30 psi. I decided to put air into cylinder one to see if it will exit into cylinder two , if I had a communication between the cyclinders, a bad head gasket. I didn't realize that cylinders 1 and 2 shared the same exhaust port as when I did this and plugged the exhaust port, air escaped out of cylinder two's plug hole. I realized this and placed a spark plug back in cylinder two. Tried this again with low pressure and the air is pushing out of the inatke and exhaust port for cylinder one. Sounds like the valves just aren't seating? I had all valves down for cylinder 1 and 2 when I did this, I could spin the tappets with my finger so the valves had no up force on them. Any other ideas or is it time to pull the head and look into the valves?
A firend was asking if a pin was sheared off of the cam or something that could have an effect on compression? That I do not know?

Thanks for any replies!
Bill

Hipo giddyup

Postby Hipo giddyup » Tue May 26, 2020 7:28 pm

Well, I smacked the head bolts with a small hammer and a blunt chisel 3-4 times. Kept putting some PB blaster on the bolts too hoping it worked in around them after a few days. Finally took my 3/8 impact tonight and slowly squeezed on and off and was lucky to back out each head bolt. Low and behold what I found,a bad head gasket with a communication between cylinder one and two. Not sure I will even touch the valves at this point but need to clean up the piston heads and all over before I decide. Thanks again for everyone’s help up to this point!!

Bill
Attachments
89A9A78E-A902-454E-A105-B1A264F67ECD.jpeg
C29D55EA-60D9-41AC-B50C-F0827C38A798.jpeg

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Tue May 26, 2020 9:21 pm

While you are there, I suggest at least touching up the valve face to seat on cylinder #1 and #2. I.E. lap the valves.

Compression looked very good on cylinders #3 & $4, so I wouldn't pull the pistons.
I have an excuse. CRS.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Wed May 27, 2020 6:40 am

Take a real close look at the block between cylinders 1 & 2. Might need to be decked to clean up the damage there.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed May 27, 2020 8:54 am

outdoors4evr wrote:Take a real close look at the block between cylinders 1 & 2. Might need to be decked to clean up the damage there.

The same for the head.

Hipo giddyup

Postby Hipo giddyup » Wed May 27, 2020 12:57 pm

Will do! Thanks guys.. I hope to report back good news if she starts. Then who knows what other problems I might find. Lol
I am replacing the radiator hoses, flushing and refilling the radiator. I couldn’t find a petcock or drain plug? I was able to just drain the radiator by removing the lower radiator hose into a bucket. Do these radiators have a drain or petcock and if so where is it located? Thanks

Hipo giddyup

Postby Hipo giddyup » Wed May 27, 2020 12:59 pm

Oh forgot to add.. does anyone use the permatex copper spray on the head gasket? I’ve seen that used on a few youtube videos???

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed May 27, 2020 2:04 pm

Hipo giddyup wrote:Oh forgot to add.. does anyone use the permatex copper spray on the head gasket?

Most definitely, and sealant on the head bolts too.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Hipo giddyup

Postby Hipo giddyup » Wed May 27, 2020 9:45 pm

Great! I ordered the spray copper gasket maker, and the thread sealant today.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed May 27, 2020 9:51 pm

Hipo giddyup wrote:. . . I couldn’t find a petcock or drain plug? I was able to just drain the radiator by removing the lower radiator hose into a bucket. Do these radiators have a drain or petcock and if so where is it located? Thanks

There should be a drain plug in the bottom side of the inlet elbow.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Thu May 28, 2020 7:24 am

Hipo giddyup wrote:I am replacing the radiator hoses, flushing and refilling the radiator. I couldn’t find a petcock or drain plug?
My 154 doesn't have a coolant drain.

Remove the lower coolant manifold from the engine block. This will let you flush the block as well as the lower portion of the radiator.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Hipo giddyup

Postby Hipo giddyup » Sun May 31, 2020 1:37 pm

I double checked the block and the head between cylinders one and two and there didnt seem to be any defects. I had a friend lap the valves on cylinders one and two for me and they looked good. Wipe down everything, flushed with solvent, cleaned off the top of the head, cylinders valves, etc. Drained and changed the oil and oil filter and put the new gaskets in place. I followed the torque sequence per the service manual I have, and use the copper sealant as well as a thread sealer on the bolts. Finally was able to start the tractor up after about 30 seconds or so. Found that the carburetor was dripping so I had to take it apart to recheck everything and decided on getting a carburetor kit. Soaked the carb overnight then cleaned and rebuilt the carburetor this morning and now it’s back on the tractor which is running quite well!! Timing seems to be pretty good. I was very very elated to have it running on its own after several years. Thanks to everyone for helping and guiding me through this. I really appreciate the help!

Now the next issue I’ve uncovered. Even with the clutch fully engaged the driveshaft will not stop spinning so I’m assuming the clutch disc is frozen to the fly wheel? What is the best way of getting this unstuck? Never remembered having any clutch or issues with shifting so I’m assuming this is because it sat for several years.
A very happy camper at the moment! , Bill

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:51 pm

The clutch is somewhat accessible on the 184 since there isn't a torque tube hiding it. Use a zip tie or rope to hold the clutch down. Remove the right side cover and the flywheel cover (bottom of tractor).
See if you can slide a 1" wide paint scraper or a thin piece of metal between the clutch disc and the flywheel and loosen it up.

Less safe Not safe method: drive it around in third gear with the clutch depressed. Drive up a few hills and see if it will let go.

- Might not be a stuck clutch. Might just be a poorly adjusted throwout bearing. - or worn pressure plate fingers
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”