This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Arctic Kiwi

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
lyle11
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44236
Tractors Owned: 48 FCub
55 Lowboy
60 Lowboy
Allis Chalmers B

Arctic Kiwi

Postby lyle11 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:01 pm

I have a trellis on the east side of my house in NE Ohio. It doesn’t get enough sun for grapes. Maybe 5 hours per day. Pretty sure I’d get a lot of grape vines but the fruit wouldn’t ripen.

At my farm in NW Wisconsin, I planted a couple of those hardy arctic kiwi probably 10 years ago. Male and female. When I bought them the leaves were splashed with white and pink and they are also supposed to produce edible grape sized fruit. I planted them in shade and totally neglected them. No trellis, no weed or grass control, no fertilizer. They survived extreme cold with no care but never grew over 3 feet tall and growth was minimal.

Last spring, I decided to prune out the dead vines and put up a simple trellis. I removed competing plants and fertilized them.
When I was there a couple weeks ago, I see they are looking good this year and the leaves are tinged with white. No pink yet. Not sure what leads to the pink and white colors. It isn’t sun in this case because they are in shade with maybe a little heavily filtered sun here and there.

You can see the white on the leaves plus a tiny fruit cluster if you look close. I have always liked plants and trees that have some extra benefit, like a fruit or nut even if the birds eat it. So, if I plant them it’s not like I’m expecting to get a gallon pail of fruit every year.

Just curious if anyone has planted these northern kiwi and if they had success with them with regard to colored foliage or fruit.

FE68526C-9B41-4270-9B01-2806E73C3733.jpeg
FE68526C-9B41-4270-9B01-2806E73C3733.jpeg (40.33 KiB) Viewed 550 times

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Re: Arctic Kiwi

Postby SONNY » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:44 pm

I looked at them but never did try any. Didnt figure they would live here!

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”