This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Tree Removal via Jack

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120
Circle of Safety: Y

Tree Removal via Jack

Postby ricky racer » Tue May 15, 2018 8:00 pm

My wife had a tree in one of her flower garden that died. She wanted the tree removed. The tree was about 4"-5" in diameter at the base. I was sure that my Cub wouldn't pull it out and my John Deere B would probably leave a couple of divots in the yard from slippage. Anyway, I got thinking. Back in the old days before earth moving equipment was around, they used to set up tri-pods over stumps that they were clearing for fields and used a block and tackle to pull the stump straight up. If it worked then, why wouldn't it work now?
I took my Hi-Lift jack out to the tree and laid a board under it so it was less likely to sink into the rain softened ground. I wrapped a chain around the trunk as low as I could and looped the other end around the "hook" on the jack and jacked away. It ended up not working too bad and popped it right out of the ground!! I hooked my Cub to it and drug it back to the woods for disposal. Anyway, I thought I'd mention it in case it might help someone else out.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Tree Removal via Jack

Postby Urbish » Tue May 15, 2018 8:38 pm

I like it, Rick. Sometimes the old tried and true methods are the best!

I built a screwed and glued wood A-frame about three feet tall with a notch at the top to hold a chain. I hooked the chain to the absolute bottom of an apple tree I wanted to remove, and leaned the A-frame up against the trunk at a 45º angle with the chain running straight up the trunk and through the notch. I then connected the other end of the chain to the tractor. I was able to easily pop six apple trees out of the ground with minimal abuse on the tractor. The harder you pull, the more the A-frame tries to stand vertically, increasing it's mechanical advantage as you go.
Jim

Circle of Safety

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”