This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Black Bear interuptus today

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Black Bear interuptus today

Postby BigBill » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:49 pm

My son just finished mowing with my 12 hp 108. While My son and I were going over my 104 cadet today on things left to fix it. We were in the house when a two year old resident black bear cub came out of the woods walked around the property and went into the bottom land. What a sight. He is so docile. Be on the look out for bears in ct. my bare rug looks awesome the only draw back is it’s alive......lol
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Black Bear interuptus today

Postby BigBill » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:22 am

Be aware of bears, my bear is out at 8:30am passing through from the upper water shed to the bottom land looking for food. The blueberries are ready too now. Animals move at dawn and dusk too. Please becareful.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:56 am

Update, my blueberries and fruit trees are empty. I need to plant more we did get blueberries for the winter pancakes.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:14 pm

Becareful just before dusk. Had a bobcat come through the yard very close within 12’ from my son never seen him. I taught my kids a hunters trick to stop a moving animal just whistle when it stops shoot. I shoot with my finger, lol

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:46 pm

Human beings don’t have much to fear from a bobcat, unless it’s rabid. Pets... that’s a different story.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:09 am

If it moves---- shoot it!

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:37 am

I’m in a rural area but can’t shoot here. I’m going to invest in a pellet co2 rifle. But these animals are still protected indangered list. The old timers when I first moved in killed everything that walks.

Something is coming through my land between 1 am/3am often at night. The dog isn’t doing his black bear tone. He actually barks then runs to my bed and barks at me. My yellow lab is very smart for no real training. I’m thinking there is a mountain lion or the bobcat. We seen the bobcat and there’s been reports of a mountain lion nearby too.

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Postby SamsFarm » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:39 am

Years ago I would have thought it neat to have bears around, but now I am glad we really dont have (m)any.

Occasionally we hear of a bear sighting in ne Ohio.

I guess they come from Pa here on a little vacation!

SONNY wrote:If it moves---- shoot it!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
1968 Cub Fast-Hitch

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .

Postby coppersmythe » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:57 pm

on my bear hunt in the canadian rockies near calgary , canada , my guide gave me advice from 40 years of experience hunting black bears ( free chase! ) . Out of a hundred bears only two will charge , BUT is that number 21 you see , number 55 you see , or , the next one you see ...... copppersmythe...........................

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:06 pm

coppersmythe wrote:on my bear hunt in the canadian rockies near calgary , canada , my guide gave me advice from 40 years of experience hunting black bears ( free chase! ) . Out of a hundred bears only two will charge , BUT is that number 21 you see , number 55 you see , or , the next one you see ...... copppersmythe...........................

That's why you never go bear hunting with someone you can't outrun. :D
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .

Postby coppersmythe » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:14 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:
coppersmythe wrote:on my bear hunt in the canadian rockies near calgary , canada , my guide gave me advice from 40 years of experience hunting black bears ( free chase! ) . Out of a hundred bears only two will charge , BUT is that number 21 you see , number 55 you see , or , the next one you see ...... copppersmythe...........................

That's why you never go bear hunting with someone you can't outrun. :D

i could not have said it better :lol: coppersmythe..........................

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:13 pm

I think guides are supposed to tell 'stories' for the entertainment of their guests. Of course, if it comes from personal experience one might hope for some statistical aberration.
So did he mention Grizzly Bears???? Those are the really scary ones and I heard 2 in 100 have deep psychological issues with rebels.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:38 am

But Blackbears have attacked more people than any other bear.

We had a 400# blackbear first. The misses heard them hooting at each other that’s how they call a mate soon after he was gone. She heard the hooting closeby then the answer farther away. She came in the house quick. The cub showed up soon after. He was on my front porch looking in the window. He was about 10 to 15’ from me one night. I raised my arms and screamed and he walked off. One day he bolted across the driveway, there faster than you think. He stayed about 2 1/2 years then he got the girlfriend call now he’s gone. Springtime another cub should show up.

Magnum
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: Nope

Postby Magnum » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:59 pm

Bear bangers , pepper spray and or 12g bean bags work good at my place. Some ding a ling thought it was cute to see and fead the dang thing , well their tune changed when it broke into their place to eat . Ripped the door right out of the frame and trashed the place. It was like a 400# raccoon. I don't mind them but they need to know not to get too comfy

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:36 am

Well my misses was feeding the deer so she thought. When the big one left the cub took over and thought he was a family pet. Well my crazy yellow lab hates bears. No way the bear would come in the house. The cub was afraid of my dog. When the cub was coming at me I figured he wanted to be friends. That’s when I scared him off. I don’t want him people friendly because some trigger happy jerk will shoot him. I scared the cub enough to let him know to keep his distance.

The mother to the 400# bear was killed locally when she was in someone’s garage. He was only a cub with her. Soon after I seen bear tracks in my freshly tilled garden and scat on the lawn. I been hunting bears in vt since ‘73. So I know what the scat looks like.

Return to “Cub Cadet”