This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Radiator - To fix or replace?

Farmall M, Super M, 400, 450 & 560 Tractors, 1939-1963
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Radec Aksarben
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 68736
Tractors Owned: '48 Farmall Cub w/ IH-Danco C2 belly mower, full cultivator
'52 Farmall Cub w/ 193 plow, 28-A disk, flail mower, buzz saw, leveling blade,
misc cultivator parts and attachments
1450 Cub Cadet with mower deck (sold)
'49 Farmall M w/ factory disk brakes (not super style)
'51 International I-9 - rusty yellow (sold but in family)
Circle of Safety: Y

Radiator - To fix or replace?

Postby Radec Aksarben » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:49 am

My brother has been working on restoring our uncle's M back as close to original condition as possible. He even got the old IH molded spark plug boots.

He had me take the radiator to the local shop to get tested (He just moved 6 hrs away and the tractor is still near me). They said it's leaking out of the upper neck, the lower neck, the lower seam, the steering shaft hole, and the overflow neck. They said it would cost at least $140 to fix what they found so far, and there would likely be more leaks after that.
My brother seems set on having it fixed because he doesn't want some crappy Chinese piece of garbage. I told him he could spend $200 or more and still have an old radiator. He said, "Exactly!"

So my question for you: Are the only new radiators available made in China and what kind of quality are they actually? The ones I've found online are around $400.
What would you do?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Radec Aksarben
5+ Years
5+ Years

Re: Radiator - To fix or replace?

Postby Radec Aksarben » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:51 am

I should add that I have a chinese jobby in my cub and it's been fine for ~6 years. Who knows about the next 20 or 30 though.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:36 am

I am surprised that the radiator shop has not offered to recore it for you. Not cheap, but then you have a new old radiator...

One thing I do know is you can't assume that just because you're paying more that you're not getting a China radiator. I really don't think there are too many places making them so likely whatever you get as a new replacement will come from one or two different manufacturers no matter who you buy from.

Talk to a place like Steiner and they should tell you where their radiator is made. They want $460, but if its made in china you can get the exact same one off ebay shipped free to your door for $100 less. Nothing against Steiner but if you're going to buy China parts it makes no sense paying any more for them than you have to.

Radec Aksarben
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Radec Aksarben » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:10 am

I talked to the radiator shop about re-coring the radiator. He said it would be "a lot". I asked how much is a lot - $600. He added that if I bought a new radiator ( He made sure I knew the new ones are lighter and not factory quality) it would be $420 and he would waive the pressure test fee.
Since my uncle is only going to have this tractor as a show toy we figured it would be alright with a lighter radiator. That's what we did.

I still have the old one laying around now.

Return to “Farmall M, Super M, 400, 450, & 560”