This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Engine keeps running on, or dieseling - Seafoam fix?

Farmall M, Super M, 400, 450 & 560 Tractors, 1939-1963
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Radec Aksarben
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 68736
Tractors Owned: '48 Farmall Cub w/ IH-Danco C2 belly mower, full cultivator
'52 Farmall Cub w/ 193 plow, 28-A disk, flail mower, buzz saw, leveling blade,
misc cultivator parts and attachments
1450 Cub Cadet with mower deck (sold)
'49 Farmall M w/ factory disk brakes (not super style)
'51 International I-9 - rusty yellow (sold but in family)
Circle of Safety: Y

Engine keeps running on, or dieseling - Seafoam fix?

Postby Radec Aksarben » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:42 am

My M runs chugging and coughing forever when it's turned off. It has to be killed in gear to shut down. I think this is from carbon build up over time. The problem got much worse when I replace the thermostat that was stuck open - so the engine was running cold for a long time, probably building up all kinds of gunk. Now since the engine is running hotter, hot carbon build up is detonating.

So, has anybody tried using seafoam to fix carbon build up? I plan on spraying about half a can into the carb when its running about half throttle and see what happens. I'll probably dump a can in the gas tank after that and one or two in the crank case for the winter before I change oil in the spring.

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Re: Engine keeps running on, or dieseling - Seafoam fix?

Postby danovercash » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:23 pm

Be careful thinning that crankcase oil!
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Radec Aksarben
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Radec Aksarben » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:29 pm

danovercash wrote:Be careful thinning that crankcase oil!

I've been poking around the internet for a while and it seems that if you follow the instructions on the bottle, 1.5 oz per quart oil, you can run the engine with no ill effect. In cars, it claims you can run it until the oil turns black because of all the freed up gunk, or 3000 miles. Seafoam seems like one of the few snake oils that people believe in.

But I came here for opinions/stories and thanks for yours! Do you know of anyone hurting an engine with seafoam?

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N

Postby dgrapes59 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:40 pm

Radec Aksarben wrote:
danovercash wrote:Be careful thinning that crankcase oil!

I've been poking around the internet for a while and it seems that if you follow the instructions on the bottle, 1.5 oz per quart oil, you can run the engine with no ill effect. In cars, it claims you can run it until the oil turns black because of all the freed up gunk, or 3000 miles. Seafoam seems like one of the few snake oils that people believe in.

But I came here for opinions/stories and thanks for yours! Do you know of anyone hurting an engine with seafoam?

I am usually skeptical on additives but gave Seafoam a try in my ’55 LoBoy I brought back to life. It smoked pretty badly and I figured I had nothing much to lose but the few bucks a bottle costs. I don’t know if it would have cleared up on its own or if the Seafoam did the trick, but I am giving Seafoam the credit.
Something’s you just can’t explain….

“She falls down a well, her eyes go cross. She gets kicked by a mule. They go back. I don't know.”

Good luck,
David

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:55 pm

I'm on the Sea Foam side. Give it a try. Just follow the directions as to quantities.

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/engine/ro101.htm
Above article lists a number of possible causes, some may apply.

I turn of the fuel supply at the gas tank at the end of the work day and let the engine run until it dies. This may not be a good procedure if you have frequent stops and starts.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:18 pm

Radec Aksarben wrote:............. I'll probably dump a can in the gas tank after that and one or two in the crank case for the winter before I change oil in the spring.

Follow the correct dosage. A couple ounces in the oil is a good thing a couple cans in the oil is not.

I have a spray bottle, probably 3-4 ounces, that makes a fine mist when you pump it. The only thing I don't like about it is the whole top pushes down with your finger so aiming it is a little difficult. Anyway I have Seafoam in it and give a few shots directly into the carb intake. I most recently did this on my nephews 1981 F-350 (gas engine) that doesn't see a lot of use and had developed a high rpm miss. I took off the air cleaner and started it up and sprayed about two ounces of Seafoam with my little bottle directly into the carb intake. I would also run the throttle up some and then spray it again. Seems to have cured the high speed miss. :{_}:

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:22 pm

4.5 oz. in three qts. Of engine oil max. I use sea foam in the fuel never have in crankcase. One member wasted a Cub engine trying to clean it with kerosene while running.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Radec Aksarben
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Radec Aksarben » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:03 pm

Scrivet wrote:
Radec Aksarben wrote:............. I'll probably dump a can in the gas tank after that and one or two in the crank case for the winter before I change oil in the spring.

Follow the correct dosage. A couple ounces in the oil is a good thing a couple cans in the oil is not.

I have a spray bottle, probably 3-4 ounces, that makes a fine mist when you pump it. The only thing I don't like about it is the whole top pushes down with your finger so aiming it is a little difficult. Anyway I have Seafoam in it and give a few shots directly into the carb intake. I most recently did this on my nephews 1981 F-350 (gas engine) that doesn't see a lot of use and had developed a high rpm miss. I took off the air cleaner and started it up and sprayed about two ounces of Seafoam with my little bottle directly into the carb intake. I would also run the throttle up some and then spray it again. Seems to have cured the high speed miss. :{_}:

Yeah, I way overestimated the amount of oil that goes in the crankcase. The 8 quarts would take 12 oz of seafoam according to the bottle. I haven't put any in the crankcase yet.
I saw those spray bottles and I think that would work well, but I figured I'd try putting it in the gas tank first. I ran it until it reached operating temperature over the weekend and then parked it and shut it down by choking it hoping to get the cylinders a little wetter. I haven't been back to it since.

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:27 pm

Keep us posted as to your progress and results. Wish you the best!
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:02 pm

I suspect your timing may be off, and as much at fault as carbon. However, for carbon buildup, this is my method. I would run the sea foam as suggested in both gas and oil. But for a really bad case, I have also used the "spray it into the carb" method. I run at 1/2 to full throttle, spray until the engine dies down significantly, stop, and let engine catch back up. Do this 5 times, completely killing engine on fifth round. Wait 30 minutes, crank back up. Be ready for a shower of carbon particles throughout this process.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

Radec Aksarben
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Radec Aksarben » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:02 am

Rick Spivey wrote:I suspect your timing may be off, and as much at fault as carbon. However, for carbon buildup, this is my method. I would run the sea foam as suggested in both gas and oil. But for a really bad case, I have also used the "spray it into the carb" method. I run at 1/2 to full throttle, spray until the engine dies down significantly, stop, and let engine catch back up. Do this 5 times, completely killing engine on fifth round. Wait 30 minutes, crank back up. Be ready for a shower of carbon particles throughout this process.

The spray in method would have been the next thing I tried, but it looks like it won't be necessary! The tractor sat for a week after I "choked" it. I ran it several times this past weekend and it shut right down with the button. :{_}:
I suppose I will still run seafoam in the oil before the next oil change just to clean out that area too.

LincTex
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 76633

Postby LincTex » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:14 pm

Dump 1-2 tablespoons into each spark plug hole, leave the wires off, and crank it with the starter for 5-10 seconds to get it all over everything. Come back an hour (or a couple days) later, put the plug wires on and fire it up. Hold an umbrella or it'll look like you were in a black rain shower! (or slip a u-pipe over the exhaust)

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Seafoam can't hurt. I know I've seen it work in three engines now; a Super H, a 240, and a 656. All three were engines that hadn't been run in a while and smoked pretty badly. After adding Seafoam, the engines smoked HEAVY on the next run, but after that ran clean.

I have about six cans of it on hand at any given time, and plan on using it in this '51 Cub I'm working on.

jsfarmall
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 72454
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub "Trusty"
1948 Cub "Rusty"
1948 Cub "Bob"
1948 Cub "Sallie" (wife's tractor)
1965 IH Cub "Annie"
1943 Farmall H
1953 Farmall Super M (granddad's tractor)

Postby jsfarmall » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:16 am

I have never used seafoam in the oil, but I have alot in the gas and I like it. Not to say anything bad, scare anyone, or talk anyone out of it, but I have seen seafoam fry engines. The rest of that story is we did NOT mix according to directions. We mixed it close to 75 percent gas to 25 seafoam in our racing mowers in high school. We had to run factory engines in our HP class and uses seafoam for the extra BOOST and boy did it work!........for a little while lol. BUT anytime i used it according to directions I have had no problems at all. Works great.
1948 Cub "Trusty"
1948 Cub "Rusty" mower tractor, trimmed ear dash
1948 Cub "Bob"
1948 Cub "Sallie"
1965 IH Cub "Annie" mower tractor,
1943 Farmall H,
1953 Farmall Super M

Farmmerjon
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 95380

Postby Farmmerjon » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:23 pm

Never used in crankcase before but works great in fuel.