This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cultivator delay valve??

Farmall M, Super M, 400, 450 & 560 Tractors, 1939-1963
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
TWheat
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 33876

Cultivator delay valve??

Postby TWheat » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:18 pm

This is what I believe to be a lift and lower delay valve for rear cultivators on a Farmall H, M maybe 400.
But I can't remember where it goes. Thoufgt maybe someone here remembers.
delay-valve1.jpg
delay-valve1.jpg (161.89 KiB) Viewed 1506 times
Attachments
dalay-valve2.jpg
dalay-valve2.jpg (154.3 KiB) Viewed 1506 times

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Cultivator delay valve??

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:01 pm

I never saw one quite like that, but the delay valve was installed in series with the hydraulic line going to the rear lift cylinder. The ones we had were just a fitting with a restriction in it, no stem on the side, etc.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

TWheat
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby TWheat » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:43 am

Yeah, that's what I thought , but this one would need a "T" to have an inlet and outlet.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:58 am

I remember them about the way John does. As I recall, they had a washer-looking part inside that rested against a seat when the oil went one way, forcing the oil through the center hole. Oil going the other way unseated the washer for free flow.

Looks like your part had a part number showing. Post the number and I'll see if I can find anything on it.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:27 am

Jim Becker wrote:I remember them about the way John does. As I recall, they had a washer-looking part inside that rested against a seat when the oil went one way, forcing the oil through the center hole. Oil going the other way unseated the washer for free flow.......
Ours was a fixed orifice and delayed the rear section both going up and down, so that the rear lifted and lowered at the same travel point as the front. of course, whether it was at exactly the same point depended on how fast you were traveling.

The one pictured appears to be adjustable, and if the end we cannot see is a female thread, you should be able to unscrew a hose and insert it in series. Screw it in place of hose, and screw hose into the female end. If the bolt sticking out the end simply adjusts the size of the hole, it could be at either end of the hose since flow direction would make no difference. If it has a moving orifice in it like Jim described, flow direction would be critical, so it could only be located at one end.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:10 am

OK, here you go. The piece screwed in the left side isn't part of it. These delay valves only need to work on the lift because delayed drop is built into the main Lift-All unit. If you push the control rod part way the front drops. Pushing it fully in drops everything. Here are 2 diagrams (part of my Nov-Dec 2009 RPM article) that show an exploded parts view of the valve and where it should be installed on the rear lift cylinder.

delayvalveS.jpg
delayvalveS.jpg (19.97 KiB) Viewed 1460 times

schematicS.jpg
schematicS.jpg (87.79 KiB) Viewed 1460 times

TWheat
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby TWheat » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:33 pm

You got it Jim. I searched out a GSS-5034 (Blue Ribbon manual for the Lift-all.) Like you said, the part on the left is not part of it and is screwed in where the hose would screw in . BTW the part# on mine is 5041E, which is not the same as what the set-up manual shows. Now I am going to pull out the Nov.-Dec. 2009 issue of RPM and re-read your article. Thanks for you help.

Return to “Farmall M, Super M, 400, 450, & 560”