This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall M bucket

Farmall M, Super M, 400, 450 & 560 Tractors, 1939-1963
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Electronrider
10+ Years
10+ Years

Farmall M bucket

Postby Electronrider » Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:44 pm

I am starting to look around for a front end loader for my M. Is anyone able to point me in the right direction on what to look for as far as brands and models? Are there loaders out there that were compatible with multiple farmall models?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Farmall M bucket

Postby v w » Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:45 am

An M with only one way hydraulics is somewhat limited for front end loaders. If you can do with a manure bucket, even with a dirt plate, there are several makes that will fit. IH models of the era of the M and I know New Idea made them. These were trip buckets. There are probably others. A hydraulic block can be put on an M to give it two way hyd but are a bit pricey. Some M's have been converted to two way hyd using the Super M system but there are some bad stories about that conversion being hard on the timing gears. I'm sure there are others that have more info than I Vern

Tired_Iron
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 53147
Tractors Owned: 1937 Farmall F-12
1939 Farmall F-14
1944 Farmall M
1945 Farmall B
1947 Farmall H
1955 Farmall 400 /w 33A Loader
Grounds Crew
Simplicity 7112H
Simplicity Sunstar 18
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Farmall M bucket

Postby Tired_Iron » Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:52 pm

You can make most anything work as long as you can get it to safely mount to the tractor.

I have a 33A power loader (later style) on my 400. You would need to do one of three things to make it work on your M:

1). Run off of PTO hydraulic pump
2). Run off of belly pump
3). Install a M&W (or similar) pump and run off engine

The latter would be harder on the timing gears as VW suggests, but if you don't overwork it, you'll be fine. Would be the best option (live hydraulics), but might not be the best option if you catch my drift. My camshaft and cam gear on my 400 broke once upon a time and has since been welded back together. Been this way as long as I can remember and still holding (at least 40 years). I have worked it good, but I have not been hard on it either. The hydraulic system has it limits. One would think they would have beefed this up a bit more, but they did not. Completely redesigned it with the next series.

The belly pump might not have enough pressure to make it work good, I think they only produce about 800-900 PSI, but might be worth a shot. Problem is there is only pressure when clutch is out in neutral or tractor is moving.

The PTO pump would work great, same as above about being in neutral or moving. Would need to find a pump and a reservoir.

All of these would obviously need a 2 spool open-center hydraulic valve, pressure relief valve and associated hoses.

my two bits...
Dan K

"You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy."

Proud Member, IHCC, Wisconsin Chapter #4

Return to “Farmall M, Super M, 400, 450, & 560”