This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Super m pto question

Farmall M, Super M, 400, 450 & 560 Tractors, 1939-1963
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Magnum
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: Nope
Circle of Safety: Y

Super m pto question

Postby Magnum » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:02 pm

I have a super m and was wondering if I could use the pto to drive an auger , not the pto on the back of the tractor but the one on the side . I would take the time to machine and fit a removable splined shaft to accommodate the auger pto shaft. Has this been done before ? Any thoughts on this ?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Re: Super m pto question

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:27 pm

I'm having a little trouble picturing how you would connect a shaft from the belt pulley shaft to an auger. But I assume you have that figured out. The pulley shaft runs at about 900 rpm. So unless you have some speed reduction in the mix, you will probably need to throttle it way back to run the auger at a reasonable speed. Then you have the question of how much horsepower you will have available at an idle and is it adequate for the auger.

It all adds up to doubtful.

Magnum
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Postby Magnum » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:28 pm

Good to know about the rpm , I carelessly assumed it would be the same as the pto on the back . As for mounting , I was going to make a coupler with the same bolt pattern as the pulley , that coupler would have a splined shaft on it to accept the auger pto .

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:33 am

IF the auger is very big,---- you wont have the power at idle to do much and high speed will destroy an auger in a flash!---seen it done a couple times!! LOL!

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:25 am

Why not just use the rear pto ? It was made for that. My neighbor often uses his “SM” for auger duty.

Magnum
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Postby Magnum » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:43 am

Good question about the rear pto , some people do not like stepping off the tractor next to the working pto , all other safety devices are in tact and work as they should but it is unnatural or too spooky for them . I understand the concern and respect it . Better to be safe then sorry is just fine for me . I was looking at the pulley one day and thought maybe I could use this instead obviously with some bit of manufacturing . Everyone would be happy and comfortable using the super m for moving grain . The tractor does just fall into the hp rating . At the end of the day I was just looking to get more use out of this tractor , I like the way it sounds under load and enjoy the old iron being used .

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:43 pm

Magnum wrote: At the end of the day I was just looking to get more use out of this tractor , I like the way it sounds under load and enjoy the old iron being used .
I like your reasoning. Perhaps shake hands with that shifter (verify it is in neutral) and start the tractor while standing on the ground on the left side.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Return to “Farmall M, Super M, 400, 450, & 560”