This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

'45 BN...transmission oil leak

Farmall B & BN Tractors, 1939-1947
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
wjwolfe82
Zip Code: 43050

'45 BN...transmission oil leak

Postby wjwolfe82 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:48 pm

It appears that fluid is leaking around the hole in the rear end that the brake lever passes through.
I searched the parts catalog and it looks like maybe the Differential pinion oil seal?
Major job?

leak.jpg
central Ohio

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: '45 BN...transmission oil leak

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:11 pm

More than likely, the transmission is overfull. Probably has a combination of gear lube and water. When was the gear lube changed last?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

wjwolfe82

Postby wjwolfe82 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:57 am

Don McCombs wrote:More than likely, the transmission is overfull. Probably has a combination of gear lube and water. When was the gear lube changed last?

That's a good question. It's been sitting (inside a closed barn fortunately) for at least 7 years and most likely didn't get much tlc before that. Though the fluid that is leaking looks pretty good & clean.
Could be wrong, but I don't think it was leaking until after we moved(pulled) it.
central Ohio

arlen
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 55975

Postby arlen » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:52 am

For what it's worth, my B was sitting inside for 7 or 8 years without running, and it was way overfilled with mostly water when I drained it.
The fluid would float on the water, and would probably be pretty clean where it decides to leak. I would definitely drain it before I worried too much.
I plan on refilling mine with 85-140, then re evaluating any leaks with the heavier oil.

wjwolfe82

Postby wjwolfe82 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:26 pm

arlen wrote:For what it's worth, my B was sitting inside for 7 or 8 years without running, and it was way overfilled with mostly water when I drained it.
The fluid would float on the water, and would probably be pretty clean where it decides to leak. I would definitely drain it before I worried too much.
I plan on refilling mine with 85-140, then re evaluating any leaks with the heavier oil.

Thanks for the info, I will do the same and give it good drain/refill and go from there.
central Ohio

wjwolfe82

Postby wjwolfe82 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:28 am

It was overfilled. No water thankfully but I drained almost 2 qts more that what it took to refill.
The check plug took some time to remove like it hasn't been out for a long time. I suspect it was previously filled with however much they 'thought' it needed.
I haven't moved it yet, but no drip now at all.
central Ohio

Return to “Farmall B & BN”