This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

B Radiator

Farmall B & BN Tractors, 1939-1947
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
arlen
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 55975

B Radiator

Postby arlen » Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:24 pm

The radiator shop called today, and said my radiator had multiple leaks on both the core and the tank. It also has a badly damaged filler neck that I was hoping they could repair (if that was the only problem). It is not worth repairing in their opinion. So they are sourcing me another non pressurized one for a replacement. I got to thinking if I should have went with a pressurized replacement.
It ran for over 70 years with that one, so I'm thinking a non pressurized one will be fine.
What are the pros/cons of a pressurized system in conjunction with the thermo siphon system?
Another $450.00 to the total :D
There ain't too many more things that can bite me on the engine now, pretty much everything has been inspected, and/or replaced/repaired. :||):

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: B Radiator

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:45 pm

Do you have a water pump?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

arlen
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby arlen » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:00 pm

Don McCombs wrote:Do you have a water pump?

No. It is the original thermosiphon system. Does that have to use a non pressurized radiator?

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:39 pm

Water pump vs. pressure system: totally independent concepts.

arlen
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby arlen » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:16 pm

Jim Becker wrote:Water pump vs. pressure system: totally independent concepts.

I understand they are not the same thing. I guess my question was...will the thermosiphon system work with a pressurized cooling system, and if so, does it offer any advantages over the
current system that operates at atmospheric pressure?

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:25 pm

Pressurizing the system allows it to work at a higher temperature before the coolant boils. That is true whether you have a water pump or not.

arlen
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby arlen » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:25 pm

Jim Becker wrote:Pressurizing the system allows it to work at a higher temperature before the coolant boils. That is true whether you have a water pump or not.

What does a water pump have to do with a thermo siphon system? Why does everybody keep asking about a water pump on a tractor that doesn’t have one? Ok, I guess I have to spell it out... :D
Does anybody on this forum run a pressurized cooling system on their thermosiphon tractor?

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:01 am

It doesn't matter whether you use a pressurized cap or not. It seems to me you have two options:
1) Recore and repair the existing radiator
2) Purchase a new radiator.

Seems to me I wouldn't exceed the cost of a new radiator. TM sells the Clancy radiator for $188.20 + Shipping.
http://www.tmtractor.com/new/co/671fp.htm
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:18 am

Yes, Arlen, I have run a pressure cap on a thermo syphon system, on my old Cub. There is no difference in operation other than the fact that pressure system can run at higher temperature before boiling of pushing coolant out. On my Cub, it made no real difference. if your "B" is going to work hard for it's keep, the pressure cap might be a nice upgrade, otherwise, will make no difference at all. My oldest Kubota tractor is thermo syphon, with a pressure cap, from the factory, it wasn't happy with a bad cap, but it's designed to have one.

arlen
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby arlen » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:24 am

Gary Dotson wrote:Yes, Arlen, I have run a pressure cap on a thermo syphon system, on my old Cub. There is no difference in operation other than the fact that pressure system can run at higher temperature before boiling of pushing coolant out. On my Cub, it made no real difference. if your "B" is going to work hard for it's keep, the pressure cap might be a nice upgrade, otherwise, will make no difference at all. My oldest Kubota tractor is thermo syphon, with a pressure cap, from the factory, it wasn't happy with a bad cap, but it's designed to have one.

Thanks! I appreciate actually answering the question at hand. It’s a rare talent I’m finding out :D

arlen
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby arlen » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:16 am

Gary Dotson wrote:Yes, Arlen, I have run a pressure cap on a thermo syphon system, on my old Cub.

The radiator filler neck itself has a little different of a design for the overflow tube for the non pressurized application doesn’t it? Or is it just the cap?

arlen
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby arlen » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:24 am

Gary Dotson wrote:Yes, Arlen, I have run a pressure cap on a thermo syphon system, on my old Cub.

To your earlier point on working the B hard. We will just be raking hay with it and pulling wagons around. My father in law tortured it without mercy for 70 years, so it won’t be working that hard. He would overheat it occasionally, and would put creek water in the radiator when it would boil over and be low on coolant.
With all the engine work I’m doing and a new radiator, it should probably run cooler than it has in several decades :lol:
Last edited by arlen on Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:43 am

Search this site for (block flushing tool).

If you haven't done so, you need to remove built up crud from the cooling system. Crud builds up around cylinders 3 and 4, causing over heating and scored cylinders.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:02 am

arlen wrote:
Gary Dotson wrote:Yes, Arlen, I have run a pressure cap on a thermo syphon system, on my old Cub. There is no difference in operation other than the fact that pressure system can run at higher temperature before boiling of pushing coolant out. On my Cub, it made no real difference. if your "B" is going to work hard for it's keep, the pressure cap might be a nice upgrade, otherwise, will make no difference at all. My oldest Kubota tractor is thermo syphon, with a pressure cap, from the factory, it wasn't happy with a bad cap, but it's designed to have one.

Thanks! I appreciate actually answering the question at hand. It’s a rare talent I’m finding out :D

Sometimes formulating an answer requires some additional information. As and Bs sometimes got retrofitted with water pumps. Anyway......

Later replacement radiators from IH for the A/B/Super A/C were all designed to run a pressure cap and they were all thermosyphon. I don't think it makes much difference in terms of working the tractor, assuming the rest of the cooling system is in good shape.

Both pressurized and non-pressurized have an overflow tube. The earlyish A and B didn't have a notch cut in the grille's radiator neck hole for the overflow, but I'm not sure it even mattered. The neck of the radiator is different to accept the pressure cap. Non-pressurized radiators have a neck more like the neck on the gas tank.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:19 am

I began running a pressure cap on my B after I began mowing with it as during 'spirited' turns sometimes coolant would be slung out of the overflow tube. I have run low pressure caps on my B and both of my Cubs. I discovered a rotten hose (cleverly disguised by a thick layer of paint) after installing a pressure cap on my LoBoy as it blew almost immediately.
Jim

Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall B & BN”