This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall B Overhaul

Farmall B & BN Tractors, 1939-1947
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Darren
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall B
Circle of Safety: Y

Farmall B Overhaul

Postby Darren » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:12 am

I am new to the forum, been thinking of overhauling my tractor since I have owned it (~6 years), mainly because it leaks all over the floor. Long story short, work has us on a one week break, COVID has me staying around the house - I decided to start my overhaul this week. After about 4 partial days, I have it torn down to pieces. Every gasket and seal is leaking, but only a few minor issues. If anything, I am learning about how these tractors are put together and will make future projects easier.

Biggest issue: 3rd gear is worn down about 40% on the one side

My Plan:
Clean up all the parts (internal and external), replace all seals and gaskets, ensure all hardware is properly installed (missing a few bolts here and there), work on a few minor issues (left brake doesn't return like it should, steering is worn), replace belts and hoses - then consider straightening some sheet metal and getting it painted. Really just looking for a nice tractor to drive around the block now that I live in a small town.

I few thoughts:
- internal of transmission is coated in old oil, more than I anticipated. It is like hardened grease. I read about using kerosene to clean it, I will see how far I go with it torn apart but will likely get it almost perfect before putting it back together. Not sure what a bad one would look like but guessing this is just 80 years of use. I read of others using brake cleaner on internal transmission like components. Anyone have other thoughts?
-Forum sponsors are going to be getting some business while I continue the overhaul, glad most replaceable components are readily available.
- the steering u-joint is not like other u-joints I am familiar with. I don't see any c-clips to take it apart. It needs replaced as it is sloppy. Am I missing something? I can get a better picture if it would be helpful.
- I am impressed with the craftsmanship of these old tractors, especially all the gears - knowing they are made with manual machining equipment 80 years ago. Only a few gears show some wear, most appear in good condition.
- getting the tractor low to the ground before splitting it worked out well. Before I took the front frame piece off, I had a cross member attached to the steering mechanism, which added additional stability. I only used the engine hoist twice, once to get the front lowered to the ground and then later to remove the front piece of the frame (where the radiator sits). Of course I know more about how it comes apart, I would likely approach a 2nd one differently - but it worked out well in the end. My wood brace seems sufficient for keeping the mid section upright.

I am not a forum expert, here are some photos showing the before and current status.

IMG_5068.JPG
before photo
IMG_5166.JPG
start of overhaul
IMG_5170.JPG
transmission
IMG_5193.JPG
parts on the floor
IMG_5196.JPG
more parts
IMG_5199.JPG
even more parts

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Re: Farmall B Overhaul

Postby Urbish » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:11 am

Good Morning. Nice effort and good looking tractor! You will have a beauty when you are done.

Regarding trans internals, kerosene is your friend. Since you are putting in the effort, I would get the inside of that trans as clean as I could. Make sure that you thoroughly clean the oil troughs and bearing oil holes. When I rebuilt the transmission in my 1946 B, the troughs and holes were full of hunks of gear teeth. All of my gears looked about like your 3rd gear from many years of abuse.

Let me know if you have trouble finding parts. My steering U-joint is about shot too. IH no longer makes a replacement and I do not know of anyone who does. I recall somebody using one from a different application with some success. I'll look for that post.
Jim

Circle of Safety

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:32 am

For that steering shaft u-joint, check with industrial suppliers, for a substitute. McMaster Carr list one that would be suitable but you might want to shop around, it's pricey.
You're starting with a pretty good looking "B"! That's always a big plus. Welcome to the Forum and enjoy the ride!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:16 am

30 years ago, west central Iowa, I purchased the steering shaft u-joint for my B at the local welding shop. The welding shop had the u-joint on hand. The purchased u-joint was larger, more robust than the original.

Edit. I purchased the entire u-joint.
Last edited by Eugene on Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have an excuse. CRS.

T-Mo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63628
Tractors Owned: '40 H
'44 B
'47 Cub
'49 C
54A Blade
42 Woods Mower
Henderson Loader
Cultivators
No. 8 Little Genius 2-12 Plow
IH Running Gear

Postby T-Mo » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:24 am

Nice looking B. I have a '44 B, with a Henderson Midget loader. I can't help you on the steering u-joint, sorry.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:32 am

Urbish wrote:My steering U-joint is about shot too. IH no longer makes a replacement and I do not know of anyone who does. I recall somebody using one from a different application with some success. I'll look for that post.

Are we talking about the entire universal joint here, yokes and all? Or are we just talking about the spider?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:55 am

Mine has been loose for over 60 years that I am aware of. Wengers has a picture of a used original on their site.
https://www.wengers.com/steering-shaft- ... 2977d.html
They look like they were originally assembled using a welder rather than snap rings. I don't know how all the places that sell a replacement cross and bearings expect you to get them apart.

Darren

Postby Darren » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:47 pm

Thanks for the feedback. The link Jim provided is what my tractor has. I saw this link, thinking it must be removable but it does appear welded on the ends.
https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/Farm ... 24890.html

I guess I will stop prying on it since it appears difficult to fine a replacement. It still works, just very loose. I will look around for an aftermarket option. I will try to continue to post updates as I continue this project.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:18 pm

I had similar sloppiness in the steering on my Super C. I found that the majority of the play was in the mounting of the yokes to the shafts and not the cross. With two universals, the play was really compounded from the steering wheel to the steering gear box. I think, originally, the yokes were mounted to the shaft by means of a hole drilled through all the components and fastened by a roll or solid pin. I replaced the pins with a through bolt and eliminated a lot of the play. Your situation may be similar.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B

Postby Urbish » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:00 pm

EDIT: I just measured my B's steering shaft: 7/8", so the ones from Surplus Center won't work...

I don't recall the diameter of the shafts entering the U-joint, but Surplus Center may have one that would fit for pretty cheap: https://www.surpluscenter.com/shop.axd/Search?keywords=universal+joint
Jim

Circle of Safety

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B

Postby Urbish » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:19 pm

This one from our pals in China might work with some hole drilling to pin it: https://www.amazon.com/APDTY-141581-Universal-Steering-U-Joint/dp/B07N8MCVXJ
Jim

Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:01 pm

From my past experience working on old tractors I would love to be a little mouse on the wall watching you put that back together. LMDO (laughing my dentures out)
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:35 am

Search ebay for 7/8 universal joint. A lot of choices pop up, lots of seller offering the same China one but it looks like there are a lot of higher quality ones, for very reasonable prices. When I re-did my Cockshutt 20, I needed, pretty much, the same u-joint, I think I got it from Grainger. That was before I knew anything about the World Wide Web.

Darren

Postby Darren » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:01 pm

Thanks for the help with the u-joint, bought a "new old stock" dana u-joint. I have started cleaning up my parts and found that the big gear inside the left final drive has two hairline cracks on the outside gears by the two rivets (1 and 3 o'clock). I am looking for a replacement but considering drilling a couple new holes and added some bolts to stiffen it up. These are a two piece design, the outside gears are riveted to the inside hub. The lip just inside the rivet is the inside diameter of the external piece - so only ~1/4" of good material inside the rivets before the piece falls out. Here are some photos. I assume these are heat treated which makes a weld repair not feasible. Anyone have experience doing a weld repair on the final drive gear?

IMG_5205.JPG
IMG_5206.JPG
IMG_5207.JPG

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:39 pm

You may want to check with JP Tractor Salvage, one of our site sponsors. They may have a good used gear. There is a link to their website at the bottom of this page. I would suggest calling rather than emailing, though.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

A. K. Trenfor

Return to “Farmall B & BN”