This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

The perennial “won’t start” problem

Farmall B & BN Tractors, 1939-1947
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Wylieboy
Zip Code: 75098

The perennial “won’t start” problem

Postby Wylieboy » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:03 pm

My B. Previous owner said it ran when he parked it in a field a few years ago. Wouldn’t start for me, so here we go. Has new battery, cables, points, condenser, magneto winding and core, plug wires, blue spark all cylinders. The magneto snaps briskly as #1 hits TDC, and rotor points to #1 plug wire. At #1 TDC, the flywheel timing mark is at 6 o’clock. New fuel line, gas bowl, rebuilt (by me) carb. When I remove the plug on the intake manifold, it has suction when cranking the engine, and clearly has gas at least that far. One valve was stuck open, but a gentle tap freed it, and now all move properly. I’m not sure what to check next! Any suggestions?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: The perennial “won’t start” problem

Postby Cub-Bud » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:24 am

Did you take the magneto completely apart :?:

Did you static time the magneto as instructed in the service manual :?:

Are the plug wires in the correct firing order :?:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

Return to “Farmall B & BN”