This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Bone Headed Move - H no spark

Farmall H, HV & Super H, 300 & 350, 1939-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
The Riot
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77441
Tractors Owned: 1963 Cub - Big Red
1972 Cub - Gramps

Bone Headed Move - H no spark

Postby The Riot » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:33 am

Well we pulled a real smart move and hooked up our 12 volt battery backwards, on our Farmall H, it's a neg ground and we hooked it up as pos ground. We then saw some smoke and obviously cooked something.
Now that we have the battery hooked up properly it is turning well, but not starting. I pulled one of the plugs and not getting any fire. Also I'm getting a lot of gasoline pouring out of the air intake side of the carb after I stop turning her over. The Tractor has been sitting, inside a garage, for about 3 years now without being started.

I was thinking about trying replace the critical parts on the Magneto, but I really don't know anything about Mags.
Any suggestions on where to go from here would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
The Riot

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Bone Headed Move - H no spark

Postby Eugene » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:09 pm

The magneto is not connected the tractor's electrical system, unless it has been modified with an external coil. Suggest you polish the magneto's points, probably curded over. Then check for spark.
I have an excuse. CRS.

The Riot
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77441
Tractors Owned: 1963 Cub - Big Red
1972 Cub - Gramps

Postby The Riot » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:35 pm

Eugene,
I won't be able to post a response for a few weeks, I'll be away from the tractor for a while, but will let everyone know as soon as I try your recommendation.
Would you have any guess why we started smoking when we crossed the battery, what in the electrical system would be most likely to heat up ?

Thank you, your help is very much appreciated.

The Riot

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:10 pm

Since you say it is 12-volt, I assume a 12-volt alternator has been installed. An alternator is the most likely item to be damaged by reversing the battery. Even then, you usually won't produce much smoke.

A second possibility is that in the 3 years since it was last run insulation on one or more wires has failed allowing for a short circuit. The insulation could have deteriorated from old age or could have been chewed by mice. If that is the problem, you would have seen the same results whether the battery was backward or not.

Return to “Farmall H, HV, Super H, 300 & 350”