This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall H

Farmall H, HV & Super H, 300 & 350, 1939-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jsd058512
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 54665

Farmall H

Postby jsd058512 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:24 pm

I recently changed a magneto to a battery ignition and now when i shut it off i have to pull off the coil wire cause cutting the hot wire going to it doesn't shut it off like it should . what is giving it juice to keep running ? far as i know the wire coming from the switch off/ on . cuts the juice it goes off quits running. so how could it keep running i get big shocks trying to get the coil wire off. thks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bezirk
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 22843
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub 1949, Oliver OC3 crawler 1951, Ford 8 N 1948, Oliver 77 Row Crop 1953, JohnDeere, La, 1941, John Deere 4115/w loader, 2004, John Deere stationary power unit LUC, Farmall M, 1946, Oliver 77 Row crop w/ loader
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Farmall H

Postby Bezirk » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:05 pm

A distributior requires a two wire switch and the mag uses a one wire . Check with TM suppply they will have the correct switch. Lookup the Cub wiring diagrahm it will show you how to wire the new switch, let us know if you needd more help.

Berlin
I started out with nothing and now I only have half of that left !

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:33 pm

Has it been converted to an alternator? If so, it probably wasn't done right.

Dusty B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61736
Tractors Owned: '45 SC Case

Postby Dusty B » Sat May 07, 2016 8:43 pm

Had the generator rebuilt w/new voltage regulator - when it sets for a few days the battery is dead!???? Had them check the regulator and it checks out OK - any suggestions as to what the problem might be?? Don't have any of the lights hooked back up yet so can't be a short there, also no smoking wires anywhere!!?? Generator shows normal charge when running after recharging battery and starting it. Dusty B
Grandpa's '41 B
'56,,'57,'59, Cu'b
'45 C
'55 Case S
Dad's DB garden tractor
'48 DeSoto
'31 "A Coup
'79 Lincoln TC
God looks out for those of us who don't know how to look out for ourselves!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat May 07, 2016 9:37 pm

Fully charged battery. Engine off. Disconnect one battery cable. Multimeter set on highest DC amp reading. Connect multimeter to battery cable and the now empty battery terminal.

Check the amp flow on the multimeter. Disconnect the B terminal at the regulator. If amp flow drops to zero, regulator is the problem.

Not the regulator, hook it back up and then disconnect one wire at a time. Check multimeter amp flow. When wire is disconnected and amp flow zero - the appliance on the end of the wire is the problem.

My guess is that the voltage regulator cut out is malfunctioning.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Sat May 07, 2016 11:00 pm

Your new 2-lug ignition switch should have one side connected to a power source (for example an ammeter lug). The other side should have one wire from the switch to the coil. There should be no other wires connected to either end of this wire. You must have something else connected to one end of the other.

Your battery is going dead because the ignition is still powered up.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun May 08, 2016 8:47 pm

There are two different problems posted in this topic,
jsd058512 wrote:what is giving it juice to keep running ? far as i know the wire coming from the switch off/ on . cuts the juice it goes off quits running. so how could it keep running i get big shocks trying to get the coil wire off.
Agree with Jim, miswiring of the ignition circuit.

Dusty B wrote:Had the generator rebuilt w/new voltage regulator - when it sets for a few days the battery is dead!??
This problem is caused by a parasitic battery drain, some place, or a bad battery.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Sun May 08, 2016 11:13 pm

Eugene wrote:There are two different problems posted in this topic . . .

Yeah, when I made my previous comment, I hadn't realized it was 2 different problems posted by 2 different people. If all the stated problems had been on a single tractor . . .

Return to “Farmall H, HV, Super H, 300 & 350”