Worm and sector gear question

Farmall H, HV & Super H, 300 & 350, 1939-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ShawnAgne
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 45380
Tractors Owned: 1952 Cub w/ 184 motor (Kid)
12V with Petronix
IH 3160 Mower Deck
54 Leveling Blade
193 Plow
IH528 Trailer
Front/Rear Weights
1955 Farmall 300 (Clarence)
12V with Petronix
Woods L306 72"
1955 Farmall 100 (Thomas)
Woods L59 60"
A60 Leveling Blade
Circle of Safety: Y

Worm and sector gear question

Postby ShawnAgne » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:42 pm

Pulled the worm and sector gear on my 300. The worm gear had areas that had broken off on the gear itself in the front and the back of the gear where the threads start and end. The sector gear looked to be good but since it was probably original I was suspect. I was getting wobble when I was driving in 4/5th on the road. Would the small areas on the worm gear that were broken be the cause? Generally what would happen would be it would start wobbling and I'd pop the wheel and it would stop.

I checked the universal joint and it is tight there was no slop in it.

I have a new worm and sector gear coming but just like to verify what the cause probably was.
Shawn Agne

oldfarmkid
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 29669

Re: Worm and sector gear question

Postby oldfarmkid » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:45 am

My experience with steering and worm gear is grand total of 1 ea. But, YIKES broken sections on worm gear. Guessing that was not caused by normal use. All you can do is replace parts and give it a try. If it were mine I'd replace all you can with new. With something that shows obvious signs of abuse it could be hard to pinpoint exactly whats in need of repair before hand. I was lucky when I bought my H that the fuel tank was full of crap and engine could only run 5 mins at a time. Was going to drive it home, but had to have a tow truck deliver it. Counted my lucky stars when I found the nail at the end of the steering shaft was the only thing holding everything together. So be careful, guessing the thrill of front wheels suddenly throwing itself fully left or right while in road gear is a short lived experience, literally. Also if the 300 is the same as my H, the sector gear is a tapered fit and after the nut is loosened, the front wheels have to be raised off the ground to allow the tapered fit to be broken loose. For me that involved a short stool to stand on and an eight pound sledge hammer. Remember to protect those threads. Our Dear lady on Steiners video shows no need to raise front end and hammer away. The added leverage of 3/4 ratchet and sockets came in handy for me also.

Good Luck